Changing the filter cartridge

RBA

I ve never changed the filter cartridge before. Today is the first time I got the refill cartridge. Do I just take the old one out and put this one in or do I have to wash it with regular tap water or do I wash it with tank water? Please Help

jlhetrick

RBA,  I'm new too but since no one has responded I thought I would throw something out there.  The box your filter came in should have had some instruction on how to change the filter and so should your filteration system had some instructions.  I use two Emperor 400 power filters on my new 96 gal. tank.  The instructions say to rinse the filters well to remove dust before installing them and running the system.  Also, make sure it's not your bio-filter your changing.  The biofilter should never be changed unless it becomes damaged.  also, if your filter is filled with a medium you will have to rinse it or your tank will get very cloudy from the dust on the medium.  Made that mistake already. 

COBettaCouple

To change your filter, take a bowl (one for fish stuff preferably) and put some tank water in it.. then soak the new filter bag in the tank water, swishing it around some. Then just take the old one out and put the new one in. If you have a sponge in your filter box, don't change that, but simply swish it in the tank water before the filter bag, then put it back. Do you have a sponge or a biowheel in your filter box?

oh.. and turn your filter off first too.. that'll help.

jlhetrick

Hello FLBettaCouple,

Thanks for responding to RBA. As a newbie I don't won't to give bad feedback. Of course in this case I simply gave specific instructions as they came with my filter system.

Can you give me some clarification. My instructions say rinse with tap water; is it better to swish in tank water as you advised? I would suspect that if your not doing a partial water change then the issue would be the chlorine and such in the tap water so I see the need to use tank water. I have only changed filters once so far and did a 25% water change at the same time and added water treatment. Is is safe to use tap water in this case?

Also, the instructions advised to do nothing with the bio sponge or wheel unless it becomes clogged or stops turning. ( I first had a sponge on my 20 gal. but have the wheels now on my bigger tank). I know I don't want to use tap on my bio-wheels because the chlorine will kill the good algae that's built up (am I right) so they should always be rinsed or swished in tank water (am I still following)?

I think I just answered my own question and now see the rational for using tank water only. If I rinse the medium containers and filters in tap then some of that will inadvertently end up on my bio-wheels regardless of treating the new water added at water change.

Thanks for allowing me to think it through and please correct any part of what I'm missing or have wrong.

COBettaCouple

I started out doing what the instruction said about rinsing the sponge and filter bags with tap water. Then read about it being better to use either tank water or some treated tap water in a bowl. The chemicals in the tap water can sometimes kill good bacteria so it's safer to use treated water - for the good bacteria. Either way, the fish would be safe. It's just a little thing but I want to try to do anything I can for good water chemistry.

It's actually good bacteria that builds up on the surface areas of the bio-wheel. The bacteria needs to be in water, that's why it's so important the wheel keeps turning and stays wet.

Sounds like you've got a handle on it.

jlhetrick

Thanks FLBettaCouple, for the feedback. I have already developed a love for this hobby though I am quickly coming to view it as much more than that. I take the responsibility for caring for my fish seriously and appreciate the ability to come on line and learn in days what might otherwise take weeks, months, or longer in the old fashion way of trial and error or having to find the right book. I'm sure the fish would appreciate it if they could comprehend it. What I'm sure then do comprehend is a healthy envronment and I'm hoping to give that to mine.

Thanks again!

Jeff

COBettaCouple

It is a good feeling to give them a happy environment. We spent months doing things the wrong way until we realized the resource that I'd found in FishLore.. took a little bit, but the members here finally had me understanding about the cycle and good bacteria and all.

I know you'll find all the advice, tips you never thought of, etc. here as we have. Enjoy the adventure.

Latest threads

Top Bottom