Changing Tank Substrate From Gravel To Sand

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by Dominosq, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Dominosq

DominosqNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi I'm new to Fishlore. Anyways, I'm planning changing the substrate of my tank from gravel to sand for my bronze cories and because I like the look of sand better. Any suggestions on some good sand substrate I can get? Also what is the best way to change the substrate without stressing the fish?

2. Crazycoryfishlady

CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,223
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Don't go to a petstore and get something that says aqaurium substrate. Generally that's a sort of fake sand, and if not fake, just low quality and rather rough. I like the look of quartz sand and it's much softer than general substrate.
    I made the mistake of not looking around and bought the overpriced substrate.
    I kept mine a mix of gravel and sand since it's slightly more natural and gives the tank a better look in my opinion.
    To separate the extra gravel I just used a fish net, but the smaller the tank is the more stressful that is, if you have something with a small footprint it could be better to remove the fish into a holding tank before changing the substrate.
    If you don't have one already, I also recommended a gravel vacuum, sand seems to get more dirty than gravel since the waste sits atop the sand, so you'll need to clean the bottom fairly frequently.

My cories happen to like it when I put sand in, they dance in the falling particles and are always in the way when it falls. Sometimes I worry they'll get buried lol

3. Barch

BarchValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +60
    You'll most likely wanna remove your fish. Be sure to rinse it fully. We changed my bettas substrate from marbles to gravel and it was clously for a month until it cleared. I removed him during it. I cant suggest a brand of sand, sorry...never use it but I agree, looks great. Heard white produces lots of poop tho (apperance)

4. max h

max hWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The larger the tank is the more work you have. But what you can do is remove the fish and place them in a 5 gallon bucket of old tank water with the filter or filter media. Once the rest of the tank is drained scoop out the old substrate, put in the rinsed sand, replace the decorations, and fill. Once it's filled hookup the filter and replace the fish. Some people scoop out the old substrate with the fish in the tank and pour the sand in using the bottle method, depending on the size of the tank. larger tanks this may not be a good method.

5. OP
    OP
    Dominosq

DominosqNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for all the replies. I think im going to get some pool filter sand and move my fish to a 5 gallon bucket while the sand settles down like max h said.