Changing Substrates

TW2AQUATICS

Well Known
Reaction score
I’m setting up a new 5.5Gal and I want the substrate in my 10G to go in that tank. My 10G houses some Nerites/MTS and a Betta, which I’m planning to put into the 5.5.

I was thinking while I change the substrates over, of keeping my Betta in a 3 Gallon bucket (All I have) while this is done and the snails I may put in a large jar.

Should I be worried about losing any BB from my sand?

As I’d be draining the tank and taking everything out, how long should I keep the filter off for?

Would this also be the best time to place mats under my rimless tanks?

is there anything else I should know/any tips about switching substrates over? The gold sand will be replaced by a black sand/gravel substrate in the 10G.

JustFreshH20

Reaction score
Your 10 gallon will def Take a hit on BB when you remove its substrate, that being said, your 5.5 gallon will cycle faster with the 10g substrate. i would try and leave some substrate in the 10 g to help out. A bucket is fine as long as u put ur heater and air stone in there, i have a large food grade tote I use just for that. Only keep your filter off while u do the change over, as soon as you can get it going again, your filter pads contain BB so don’t change those, maybe even put some substrate from the 10g in the bucket. changing substrate is in my opinion needs to be done carefully so not to completely crash your cycle.

OP
TW2AQUATICS

TW2AQUATICS

Well Known
Reaction score
JustFreshH20 said:
Your 10 gallon will def Take a hit on BB when you remove its substrate, that being said, your 5.5 gallon will cycle faster with the 10g substrate. i would try and leave some substrate in the 10 g to help out. A bucket is fine as long as u put ur heater and air stone in there, i have a large food grade tote I use just for that. Only keep your filter off while u do the change over, as soon as you can get it going again, your filter pads contain BB so don’t change those, maybe even put some substrate from the 10g in the bucket. changing substrate is in my opinion needs to be done carefully so not to completely crash your cycle.
Cheers! I’m not too worried about a cycle crash or anything like that, as I won’t be stocking the 10G again for some time (I want the aquascape to establish) Yes I will chuck the air stone and heater in there thank you! I have a Dr Tim’s one and Only on its way to help cycle either tank, so hopefully this should all be good!

FreshwaterHG

Reaction score
I recently changes the substrate in my divided betta tank. Let me tell you: NOT FUN. The whole process took me over 5hr. It was a huge huge pain in the butt. What I did is I put each betta in a bin with a lid, sponge filter, and heater. All fish were fine after and the change was worth it. Good luck to you!

New Threads