Changing substrate/ adding live plants/ the works!

BrandiC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm going to first start off with some pics.
This is before:
116.jpg

This is now:

I want the wood to be my center piece, and I was thinking of adding star moss to it, anyone have exp with these plants? Oh and also adding more river rock as well..
Any more helpful suggestions would be great!

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Star moss isn't an aquatic moss and will die after several months. I wish the one seller would stop putting it on Aquabid because it just tricks people.

I'm not familiar with the cichlid salt and pepper but I'm assuming it's a sand. The easiest way to switch is to remove the fish to a filtered bucket or other tank, turn off the filter, remove the rocks and carefully pour in the sand by getting your hand as close to the bottom as possible to minimize the floating dust. Wait maybe at least several hours before turning the filter back on so sand doesn't ruin it. I'd also recommend keeping some of the old gravel in a new pair of panty hose to help prevent a mini-cycle.

I'll be happy to help with plants but first I need to know what kind of lighting you have and how many watts it is.

I'm a bit worried about the tank getting much sunlight. That seems to encourage algae growth.

-Lisa

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've used the african cichlid sand from caribsea that has the white and black color, is that what you are talking about?

BrandiC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yes that's the sand I'm talking about. I haven't had any problems with algae growth in my tank.. I could always change my blinds to a different color to help though. My lighting is very low light. Its an eclipse f40t10.. And I think I seen the star moss on ebay, from a japanese seller.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I assume you are going to make it into an african tank then? the cichlid sand will keep the PH at a minimum of 8.2 and maintain it as long as it is in there.

*edit* I think that keeping such a high ph is going to be an issue if you are going planted, but I may be wrong on that, I don't know the specifics.

BrandiC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I'm truly unsure about what I should or shouldn't have I have never had live plants so I need all the help I can get. I'd like to have medium lighting but I haven't done any research on what bulb I need

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello BrandiC,

Here is a link that you may find helpful concerning lighting/plants and then some :
https://www.fishlore.com/aquarium_light.htm

I don't have much experience with plants and lighting issues. I do have some Anubias, Java Moss and Japanese Marimo Balls that are all doing very well in my 33 gallon long with a SolarmaxHE T5 54W light. This light is new to me too. My plants have new growth and that makes me happy

The plants above are medium to low light and the bulb I have I figure it to be low light as well. Almost 2Watts per gallon. (WPG)

Hold on for more detailed responses.

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you aren't doing an african cichlid tank then I suggest against using the cichlid sand and use a substrate that doesn't buffer PH. You can probably make a salt and pepper look with something like mixing tahitian moon sand with whatever their white sand option is, either way it should be inert unless you have the intent of altering PH.

BrandiC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks Ken!

What about this substrate?..

I would probably mix it with a white gravel..

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads