Changing substrate...a few questions

BklynsBurning

Reaction score
hi guys...i have a gravel substrate in a 55 gal...i would like to replace the section where i planted swords with something more beneficial

-i am hoping to swap while still filled and stocked
-i have a low acidic water already(i've seen it reach 6.4)
-i only want to change where there are plants(just 1 small section of the tank)
-i have a clown and khuli loaches as well as cories(i read SeaChem Fluorite is hazardous to bottom dwellers)

any advice is greatly appreciated

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Black diamond blasting sand is a pretty great option. It grows plants great and you can get a 50lb bag for $8! Just make sure to get the medium grit because the fine grit seems to just float around. It’s very oily at first but as long as you wash it it isn’t oily once it’s in the tank.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have changed the substrate in selected areas in my 40 gallon, switching out a coarse "play sand" and replacing it with pool filter sand. I bought a small ice scoop, which has a flat bottom, from a local restaurant supply store. I use it to remove the old substrate and then replace it with the new.

Does that answer at least part of your question?

leftswerve

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a always found the two substrates end up co-mingling and the mixed up stuff becomes more difficult to keep clean.
I didn't say don't do it. Just be prepared. I've even experienced a concrete effect with sand and gravel mixed where it is so compact it becomes like a rock when not fluffed from time to time.

New Threads