Changing Stock

1. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

HI

Ok guys, I really want a Betta fish, what if I change out my entire stock, would I need to clean out the whole tank and cycle it again? I don't have any diseases at the moment, and my numbers are perfect.

So how would I go about doing that? I can't just totally take out all the fish and then put in a Betta right? That would cause a mess in the cycle.

Please Help!

also, I wouldn't plan to clean out my whole stock, I would add other things in, like ghost shrimp and maybe a snail to balance the ammonia in the cycle.

anyway, just an idea, how would you go about doing that?

Thank you for reading my thread!

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If you take out all of your fish, your cycle will be fine while you run to the store and get your beta. I would think you'd be fine for at least a couple of hours, probably longer like a couple of days but I'm not 100% on that.

3. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

You can take the fish out and put the beta in right after. You won't hit a spike. It's only when you add way to many fish at once to a tank is when that happens. I would run to the store, get the beta, once you get home catch the other fish while your beta is acclimating, and then release the beta once the accumulation and fish are out and done with.

4. OP
    OP
    mg13

What about won't the betta taste that there were other fish and stress out?

And if the ammonia produced drops, won't the bacteria die and I'll have NTS on my hands?

5. Sarah73

Your beta won't stress out if he is the only one in their. The BB won't die. It will just decrease the BB you have, but no spike.

6. OP
    OP
    mg13

Even if he can taste the others? I know you're not supposed to normally split a tank cause they can taste the fish in the water, even if they can't see them, is that not the same this way? If so, why not?
    Flowingfins?

7. tyguy7760

Some bacteria will die but enough bacteria will stay around that will handle your beta's ammonia.

8. OP
    OP
    mg13

Where is a good place online to buy amazing bettas?

9. tyguy7760

10. Sarah73

Umm well I hate online buying for fish because it's stressful for the fish. I buy it from petco. They have some of the nicest betas. But if you are looking for koi betas which is what I am looking for, go to a local breeder.

11. OP
    OP
    mg13

how do you find local breeders?

also, I want someone I KNOW will try their best to get me a live healthy betta, that's why I'm not leaning toward ebay

12. Sarah73

eBay doesn't lol. Where do you live?

13. OP
    OP
    mg13

doesn't what? :)

14. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

I wouldn't think that you would need to go through all that when adding betta (if that's what u mean) I added my betta to my community tank easily by putting him alone in the little breeder box on the tanks side. he soon got used and bored of looking and trying to bite the other fis through the plastic. later on I let him out and he is the LAZIEST BETTA EVER literally lol doesn't even care about anything, shrimp climb on him... yea...

15. Sarah73

I have a community tank with a male beta and he is perfectly fine, but I don't know what the OP's tank size is and the fish that are in it.

16. OP
    OP
    mg13

I would be exchanging my stock, I don't want to have anything except a Betta a snail, and optional frog or snail, but nothing is for sure yet, I would not be keeping my stock that I have right now.

maybe I will split it and have two Bettas separately in the same tank. I already know the risk in that and like I said, nothing is for sure.

17. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Trinsfish.com

18. OP
    OP
    mg13

Are dumbo's not a good idea?

19. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

I personally wouldn't, like I wouldn't buy a rose tail. If you do get one make sure you get one with a short tail. What size tank is this? If you do get two make sure they can't see each other.

20. OP
    OP
    mg13

15g.

yup