Changing one of my filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Mully60, Jul 17, 2015.

1. M

Mully60 Valued Member Member

Hi,

I have two questions:

I currently have a 55 gallon aquarium running an Eheim classic 2213 canister filter and an Marineland BIO-Wheel Penguin 350. I received the tank and filters from a friend so neither of them were brand new. The Eheim filter has been working well from the beginning but the Marineland filter made some noise. Yesterday I noticed the marineland filter making a very loud noise now. I took out the propeller and cleaned it off and re-inserted it and it continues to make the same loud noise. Iv'e kind of come to the conclusion that the filter may just be old and it needs replaced unless someone thinks I may be able to fix this issue by just ordering a new propeller?

1. Can I replace the Marineland filter while keeping the Eheim filter without causing some type of cycle? Could I toss the bio wheels in the tank and let them float since that is where most of the BB is?

2. If I do by a new HOB filter which do you recommend? I have read some great reviews on both the AquaClear 70 (300) and the Fluval C4. Anyone have a preference of one over the other? Or should I stick with Marineland and buy another BIO-Wheel?

All help and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

2. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

I ran an Aquaclear 70 on my 40 gallon tank for over a year. It is a workhorse and I never had problems with it. But biggest gripe about it is that the flow was too much for my tank, even on the lowest flow setting. On a 55 gallon it might not be as noticeable. I replaced my 70 with a Marineland canister 220 and put all of the aquaclear media into it.

In your case I feel that another marineland biowheel would also be an excellent choice, and you could simply transfer media. But Aquaclear and Fluval are also good choices.

Oh, and, yes, if you remove the marineland and do not replace it with something, your tank might go through a cycle or a mini-cycle until the eheim can catch up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2015
  3. OP
    OP
    M

Ok, thank you. I may just consider buying a new marineland biowheel then. I shouldn't really miss any BB if I transfer all the media over.

4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not a big fan of the BioWheels, as I have heard some of them getting jammed or stop spinning period. I think alink can fill you in on the details. I am currently running an AquaClear 70 on a 29 gallon as my only filter, the flow is a bit strong but I have set it on the lowest flow setting and it's not too bad. I like the AquaClears because of the ability to customize filter media.

5. OP
    OP
    M

When I had my 30 gallon tank set up I had the Penguin 200 and did have some initial issues with the BioWheel but then it worked for a while. Every now and then I did notice it would spin rather slowly. So far I have had good luck with the one I have now, just the loud noises. I do like the idea of customizing the filter media.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I have a penguin biowheel 350 now too. Mine started making noise also. I called Marineland to see what could be done, and they're shipping me a free part to replace which should stop the noise. Might be worth trying that route? It's the cheapest - no spending required! Then if that doesn't fix it, you could try a new/different filter.

7. OP
    OP
    M

Thanks for the advice. I guess it won't hurt to give them a call!

8. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Try putting vasoline on the shaft to see if it quiets down.

9. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

For mine, it was a part that's in the water, so I don't know if vaseline is a good idea.

10. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yea, I'm not so sure vaseline is entirely fish-safe...

11. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

If you get a new one just put some of the old filter media in the new filter. Should be good.

12. KingD

KingD Fishlore VIP Member

I have the 350 on my 55 gallon and at first it was working perfectly as it should but after a while the biowheels have stopped spinning completely. I have cleaned it to the best of my abilities (in water taken out from the tank and without getting rid of all the bb) and it still doesnt spin so I am planning on buying a fluval 406 external filter.

13. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

Actually we have a 200 running in our 38 gal tank minus the bio-wheel. Now there is an Aqueon 30 running on the other end of the tank. As the water is crystal clear and the water parameters are great nothing wrong with leaving it in.

14. slayer5590

Vasoline is fish safe. Also works to help seal leak O-rings on canisters.

15. M

Yes, it's been stated many times in various posts that Vasoline is fish-safe.

16. slayer5590

That should have been leaky O-rings lol.

17. OP
    OP
    M

OK, thanks for all the advice. I think when I get home from work I'll have another look at it and if I can't fix it I'll call and see what they can do. If nothing, thanks I'll probably go with the AquaClear 300. Haven't heard much on the Fruval. Also, if I do get a new one, can I just throw the biowheels in the tank and let then float? Or do they need to be wet-dry?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

18. M

You can cut the material from the "wheel", fold it up, and place it in your new filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice