Changing my 37 gallon into a peaceful community tank. Suggestions needed.

Jdaisy44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi guys! I'm in the process of moving my Tiger Barbs and Serpae Tetra into a 20 Gallon tank. I'm taking things slowly, but if all goes according to plan this will leave me with the ability to turn my main tank into a more peaceful community. I've always kept semi-agressive fish so this is new territory for me. I have some ideas about the stock I want, but I could use some advice on their compatibility with my Blue Gourami.
--

Here are my tank details:
37 gallon tall. Almost 3 years old.
Gravel with plastic and silk plants.
Two filters: Top Fin 40 and Aquaclear 50
--

And this will be what's left in the tank once I've taken out the other fish:

1 Blue Gourami (almost 3 years old)

1 Zebra Danio (I had trouble keeping Danios and he's the lone survivor from his school)

1 Bronze cory cat (the fish store told me he would school with the rest, they don't, so now I'm kinda stuck with him)

4 Peppered Cory Cats

3 Nerite snails
--

What I'm hoping to add is:

A couple more Peppered Cory Cats. Or should I add more Bronze cories?

A Platy and/or a Guppy. Could I add one of each? And if not, would two male platy/guppies be ok? I want to avoid them having babies, if possible, but don't know if having multiple males is ok. Are live bearers really that messy? If so then I'll just choose 1.

A school of tetras. I looked into Lemon Tetras and fell in love with them. Can anyone tell me if they would be a good fit with my Gourami? I also like Neon Tetras but I've read those guys are small and often get eaten by the bigger fish.

Those were my thoughts, but I'm open to suggestions. I also need some back-up options if my local store tells me they don't carry certain fish. But I do want fish that will add a pop of color and not be too hyperactive.

--
My gourami is my biggest concern. He's a Blue Gourami which is generally an aggressive type. However this particular Gourami got spooked by a big box when he was young (those darn scary boxes!), and since then he's been the biggest scaredy-cat in the tank. He literally darts into his corner when anyone approaches the tank. I've made him a little haven in the back corner, with tall plants to help him feel safe. This happened quite a while ago and he's still as shy as can be. Now his personality could change when I get the aggressive fish out of the tank, but for the most part the other fish don't mess with him and he ignores everything in the tank.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What's the temperature of your tank? Bronze cories prefer warmer water and peppered cories prefer cooler water. Depending on the temp of your tank, you should rehome one species and up the number of the other to 6+ since they're schooling fish.

Jdaisy44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What's the temperature of your tank? Bronze cories prefer warmer water and peppered cories prefer cooler water. Depending on the temp of your tank, you should rehome one species and up the number of the other to 6+ since they're schooling fish.
The tank is at 78 degrees. I never realized that about the peppered cories. They've been in the tank for a few years now without any issues.

Jdaisy44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Temperatures outside their natural range can cause shortened lifespans unfortunately.
Thank you for the info.

It's an adjustable heater so I can raise/lower the temperature. I'll talk to my fish store about taking back the Bronze Cory Cat. Maybe I can get them to take the Danio as well.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The temp in your tank is suitable for the bronze cory cat (Corydoras aeneus), but not for the peppered cory or the danio. You can return the peppered cories and the danio, and up the numbers of the bronze cory to 6+, or you could lower the temps to below 75 F, keep the peppered cories and the danio and up their schools to 6+, and return the bronze cory.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bronze corys can handle quite a wide range of temperature, they're not specifically a warm water cory though they can handle higher temps better than a lot of corys.
Peppered need much cooler temps so as said I'd rehome the peppered & danios & add more bronze, you could have a mixed group of bronze & albino aenus as they're the same species.
For colour I'd add platys, they'd get on better with your gourami as they're more robust than guppies imo.

Jdaisy44

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The temp in your tank is suitable for the bronze cory cat (Corydoras aeneus), but not for the peppered cory or the danio. You can return the peppered cories and the danio, and up the numbers of the bronze cory to 6+, or you could lower the temps to below 75 F, keep the peppered cories and the danio and up their schools to 6+, and return the bronze cory.
Bronze corys can handle quite a wide range of temperature, they're not specifically a warm water cory though they can handle higher temps better than a lot of corys.
Peppered need much cooler temps so as said I'd rehome the peppered & danios & add more bronze, you could have a mixed group of bronze & albino aenus as they're the same species.
For colour I'd add platys, they'd get on better with your gourami as they're more robust than guppies imo.
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to me. I will talk with my local fish store about my options.

So would two male platies be ok? My stock would look like:

37 Gallons

1 Blue Gourami
2 Male Platies
6 Cory Cats
3 Nerite Snails
8 Lemon Tetras

What would be some alternatives to the Lemon Tetras if my store doesn't carry them? I would like something colorful. Without too much red since I will have a school of serpae tetra in my other tank.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That sounds like a good stocking list! If you can't find lemon tetras, you have many other options. Why don't you write down the tetras your LFS has, and update this thread with your options?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom