Changing Internal Filters

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jordanlp, Apr 26, 2019.

1. JordanlpNew MemberMember

I’ve recently upgraded my internal filter, currently running a Fluval U3 but changing to a Eheim Biopower 200, reason is for a bit more filter capacity and the Ehiem is much more flexible for different types of media I’m wanting to use in the future.

Anyways, I think the best way to colonise the new filter will be to run them both at the same time on the lowest flow rate, obviously this is not ideal for numerous reasons (taking up space, a more wires, using more power and so on) so realistically how long will the new filter take to colonise from a mature filter/tank? I’m really not sure if it’s likely to be days/weeks/months.

As added insurance when I remove the existing filter I have nearly a full bottle of Stabilty which I’m going to follow the directions as a new setup, and can transfer a lot of ceramic media from the mature filter so can’t see any major disruption to the cycle, but I’m just after an estimated timescale if anyone has done similar?

Thanks

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Just take the media from the old filter and put it in the new one. *shrugs*

3. JordanlpNew MemberMember

That was my first thought, but like I say the Fluval filters are pretty rigid in terms of media, I can transfer the ceramic rings from my existing filter but that’s it, the foam pads and chem cartridges can’t really be transferred to another media basket (one of the reasons why I’m changing) but if the bio rings and other seeded media (rocks, plants and gravel) in the tank would be enough I’d much sooner do it that way to be honest.

4. FahnFishlore VIPMember

The ceramic media should be all you really need, that's where most of your biological filtration is taking place anyway.

Not a lot of bacteria on substrate and hardscape tbh.

5. JordanlpNew MemberMember

Thanks, I think I’ll go this way then, I did put extra ceramic media in then was supplied originally should have plenty to put into the new filter, was maybe over thinking it, will add the bottled bacteria and simply feed a bit sparingly also for a few weeks.