Changing Hob Media?

Kingofnon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So im running a hob quiet flow.

If you look at the picture you'll see the its a sponge thats sits in a frame, that then sits in a cartridge ti be slotted in. The main sponge in locked in a plastic frame.

Now how do i deal with this in cleaning? The media is to the point its falling apart but if i buy a new cartridge all my BB is gone right? So what to do??

015905060806PT04-jpg.jpg

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok from looking at it the blue part is actually holding bb. It’s growing on the pushed out squares. What I would do is on your next water change remove and throw away the old upper white filter and replace it with a new one. Than take the sponge on the bottom and rinse it in the wc water. Than take the blue piece and dip it in the wc water a few times to get any large particles off it. Replace the sponge the new filter into the blue plastic than back into the filter and your ready to go.
How often do you change the water and what size tank?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The white film is holding the majority of the BB, not the blue. The blue definitely has some, but not as much as the white. The best thing to do is to buy the new cartridge and put it in the filter and leave the crumbling bits of the old one behind it. You may have to shove it in, but I fit two full cartridges in one before. Leave it there for a few days to a week, then remove the old parts. There will be a slight mini cycle, so do some extra water changes.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes there is bb in it but the white piece is equivalent to filter floss and is the disposable part of that filter. As hard as it may be to belive that blue thing is designed to hold bb. Many hobs are doing this. The blue thing and the sponge on the bottom are holding enough bb for the user to dispose of the floss filter and not go through a mini cycle.
Now looking at your user info you have a 60gal tank. Is this filtering that tank?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
86 ssinit said:
Yes there is bb in it but the white piece is equivalent to filter floss and is the disposable part of that filter. As hard as it may be to belive that blue thing is designed to hold bb. Many hobs are doing this. The blue thing and the sponge on the bottom are holding enough bb for the user to dispose of the floss filter and not go through a mini cycle.
Now looking at your user info you have a 60gal tank. Is this filtering that tank?
Thank you for the clarification, and sorry I went against you, I had been told the opposite before. And no, I don't have one on my 60, I had a larger model of this on my ten gallon before, don't worry my 60g turns over 8x an hour.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry using that filter on a 60 was directed at the op. I never thought you were going against me . Not a fan of that blue thing but like bio-balls and stars and pot scrubbers plastic does hold bb. Those filters are for small tanks so the blue and the sponge and regular water changes will keep a tank clean.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
86 ssinit said:
Sorry using that filter on a 60 was directed at the op. I never thought you were going against me . Not a fan of that blue thing but like bio-balls and stars and pot scrubbers plastic does hold bb. Those filters are for small tanks so the blue and the sponge and regular water changes will keep a tank clean.
I'm so sorry, my brain is broken today!
I totally agree on the bioballs, I'll have to try the other things you mentioned too.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom