Changing gravel

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would remove the fish and shrimp first so they dont get hurt in the process. And I suggest keeping the old gravel in a container or a bag in the tank for a few weeks to help remedy any chance of minicycle.

chunkdaddy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It shouldn't take more than 30-60 min to remove the old gravel and put in new, so would it be okay to put the spotty (the guppy) and the rcs in a bucket with water from the tank?

Also, was thinking of maybe putting sand in this tank. Would that be okay with rcs?

*edit* Just read some horror stories about sand. Never mind, I don't need any more stress or expense in my life.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes they should be fine if you are just keeping them in there while switching substrate, just be sure to acclimate them to the new tank water.

Horror stories about sand? I love sand, its my favorite substrate next to bare bottom. The key with sand is to spend a few more dollars and get good quality product.

SFwriter

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did a 100% water and substrate change (actually we boiled it instead of replacing it) with a 50 gallon tank. The three residents (all large algae eaters) did just fine in a bucket for over an hour, though I did have a heater and thermometer attached.

In your case if the water is fine, your tank is so small I'd probably just keep at least half the water and put it back in after you change the substrate. Should be a very quick job with such a small tank and that should prevent what somebody upstream called a mini-cycle.

tototime

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Keep some substrate in a small bag as well to help prevent a mini cycle. Water doesn't hold much of the bacteria. Most is in the substrate and filter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom