changing gravel

Damian19

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How do I change the gravel in my established tank?I got a couple of fish in it so do I just take out the old gravel and replace it with the new rinsed gravel?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you wanting to get rid of all the old gravel? It would probably be less stressful on your fish to take them out while your changing it out.
Carol

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
this could possibly put you into a minicycle, depending on what kind of biomedia you have. To play it safe you could put a bunch of the old gravel in a soap and chemical free stocking, or some other clean porous bag and hang it in the tank for a couple weeks.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I replaced all the gravel in two tanks without moving my fish because I have nowhere else safe to put them. I doubt others will recommend it but all the fish came out fine. However, I wouldn't change out gravel without removing shrimp first, they can too easily get mixed up with the gravel--trust me on that one.

-Lisa

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just recently changed the gravel in my tank to sand (my little cories love it) and I put the fish into a bucket while I did it, and went ahead and cleaned the tank while I was at it. No mini cycle that I noticed, but I did put two knee highs (brand new ) w/ the old gravel into the tank for a week or so. most of your beneficial bacteria lives in your filter not your substrate so it's not a huge deal. I also put sand into my tank about once a month (no matter how good you get at cleaning sand, you lose some during WC esp since I was doing daily WC during an ich outbreak) and have never had problems w/ adding sand with fish in the tank lol.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
most of your beneficial bacteria lives in your filter not your substrate so it's not a huge deal.
I agree with this, however I think that most aquarium setups lack proper surface area in their filter system to adequately house enough BB to do the job. So when the substrate is removed, it takes a large portion of the BB with it. Just a guess, though.

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Very true Jeta, it does probably depend on how well established the tank is as well as filter media like you originally said. Just wanted to share my opinion since I did change the substrate so recently and did okay. I think you do run the risk of a mini cycle, as you said, hence keeping some of the old substrate right?

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was talking about the basic small filters that come with the economy tank kits, like the top fin kit. They do the job but are often underpowered and dont exactly have much media to work with. I bought a 10g kit last year and the filter media literally consisted of a bag of carbon and nothing else.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Freshwater Substrates/Gravel - Sand section of the forum.
Thanks!
Ken

Nitro Junkie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was talking about the basic small filters that come with the economy tank kits, like the top fin kit. They do the job but are often underpowered and dont exactly have much media to work with. I bought a 10g kit last year and the filter media literally consisted of a bag of carbon and nothing else.
I bet your right. Just a bag of carbon? WOW! When you change the carbon,you are removing most of the BB. I have never bought a tank kit. That's good to know.

Sorry to the OP for getting of topic.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom