Changing Gravel/substrate?

ada6991

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi
I would like to change my tank a bit.
At the moment I have some plants in pots and gravel.
I would like to plant the plants in the background and leave the gravel in the front.
What should I use for planting and more important question is how do I change it?
I have fish and shrimp in the aquarium so how can I change the gravel without stressing them too much?

Last edited:

VividAquariums

Reaction score
I recently just changed from gravel substrate to Fluval Stratum, and more red lightning. Plants have been growing like mad. Just fill a bucket with some of your tank water, put some shelter or something they can hide in (or cover with towel to make it dark). Then swap out your substrate.

ada6991

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently just changed from gravel substrate to Fluval Stratum, and more red lightning. Plants have been growing like mad. Just fill a bucket with some of your tank water, put some shelter or something they can hide in (or cover with towel to make it dark). Then swap out your substrate.
Whats the colour of the Fluval Stratum is it blackish or more brownish and do you put gravel on top of it or just leave it as it is?

VividAquariums

Reaction score
Whats the colour of the Fluval Stratum is it blackish or more brownish and do you put gravel on top of it or just leave it as it is?
If you got an overhang filter, I just used that over the side of the bucket/bin I kept them in. All you need is something to disturb the water so they get oxygen (just use an air stone or something if you can't fit a filter in).

As for the gravel, I took it all out, but I kept as much of the water from the original tank (and some of the nasty brown detritus) that was stirred up. That way you don't lose the beneficial bacteria when you're swapping substrate. But if you're using the same filter media/tank, you should have enough good bacteria from the filter.

Sorry, my mistake, I had originally wanted to go with Fluval Stratum, but the little clay balls tend to break up over time, so I went with Seachem Fluorite** - All Natural Porous Clay. You need to rinse it like 50 times, and it will make your tank cloudy for a few days but it can hold for a longer period of time.

VividAquariums

Reaction score

The colour of the Flourite is your choice, the mineral content should be the same. I went with the brown colour just as it brought out my plant colours nicely.

Also, don't worry about a heater in the bucket. Just try to do it as quickly as you can, probably will take you an hour or so. If you're really afraid the temp will drop, stick your thermometer in a bucket that will fit it fully submerged

ada6991

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you got an overhang filter, I just used that over the side of the bucket/bin I kept them in. All you need is something to disturb the water so they get oxygen (just use an air stone or something if you can't fit a filter in).

As for the gravel, I took it all out, but I kept as much of the water from the original tank (and some of the nasty brown detritus) that was stirred up. That way you don't lose the beneficial bacteria when you're swapping substrate. But if you're using the same filter media/tank, you should have enough good bacteria from the filter.

Sorry, my mistake, I had originally wanted to go with Fluval Stratum, but the little clay balls tend to break up over time, so I went with Seachem Fluorite** - All Natural Porous Clay. You need to rinse it like 50 times, and it will make your tank cloudy for a few days but it can hold for a longer period of time.

Thanks
Ill get all the stuff I need and try to do it.
It might take few weeks before ill get everything.
I do have some air uplift filter so might stick that in since it pumps some air to the water.
I have a canister filter so that will stay as it is with all the bacteria but i will also try to keep as much water as possible.

The only good thing that my tank isnt that big is that it shouldnt take really long to do it.
The hardest part will be taking the fish out.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom