Changing Gravel Into Sand Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by LaniKai, Apr 23, 2018.

1. LaniKaiValued MemberMember

So I want to finally change my current gravel substrate into a sand substrate and I have a few questions. For sand sifting fish what sand would be good? Do I need to do anything special with my filters? Will plants be able to grow in sand or should I have pots for them?

2. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I think any medium to fine grit sand will do. The most popular types people use are pool filter, Black Diamond Blasting, and play sand.

Yes, plants will grow just fine in sand, but you will need root tabs for fertilizer. The two most popular and often used brands are API and Seachem.

3. LaniKaiValued MemberMember

4. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

HTH is the brand? I'm pretty sure they all work no matter the name. I think all you need to do is give it a good rinse.

Plenty of people use Black Diamond with Corydoras with no issues. I'd personally choose the medium grit over the fine, and a vast majority of aquarists do. I looked at fine grit and it's much too fine for my tastes. Also, like the pool filter sand, give this one a good rinse too. Mine even had an oily film, so I used a small dab of dish soap. If you think you got rid of all the soap residue, give it a few more rinses for good measure.

5. endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

I highly recommend putting down some organic potting soil below the sand. It makes such a huge difference with plants, and it's very affordable ;)

6. LaniKaiValued MemberMember

I might be keeping a small school of earth eaters in there so I don't know if the potting soil and sand will stay separate. That's why I was thinking maybe some pots with something like eco complete and then hiding the pots with rocks and wood.
    HTH is the brand, its sold at my local ace hardware store. I like the look of the black diamond sand better though so I think I'm leaning on that side. Although I was reading it can be a little sharp so do you think it would still be okay for an earth eater fish? or am I being too paranoid lol.

7. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I’m unfamiliar with earth eaters, but if their name is a good indication of what they do, then I think I have a reasonable idea. My goldfish swallows, spits out, and even poops smaller bits of Black Diamond out with no issues. Hope that helps.

8. LaniKaiValued MemberMember

I just recently got an earth eater with my new aquarium so I'm still learning about them but basically they take a mouthful of sand and then filter it through their gills.

So I can get any brand of Black Diamond sand and it will be fine as long as I rinse it?

9. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Sure, I believe so, but Black Diamond actually is the brand of blasting sand. I would choose medium grit. Fine grit feels too powdery.

10. LaniKaiValued MemberMember

Okay just wanted to make sure. I can get it it for $8 for 50 LB at a kinda local store so I'll stop by soon and get some. Will it be okay with a canister filter and a HOB filter?

11. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

It will be just fine, regardless of the filter you choose.

12. LaniKaiValued MemberMember

Okay, thanks for all your help :)

13. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I use Black Diamond in several aquariums. Med-course grit. I have a finer grit in the guppy aquarium because the bag was mis-labled. A light rinsing is all it needed. I have had no issues with this product dusting up.

In Sunhawk's 55 I have pool filter sand. It took a lot more work to get it clear. Not because it is dirty but to get the finer grains out to protect the filters.

I use SeaChem Root tabs and liquid supplements.

1. The 150. 3 Canisters and 1 HOB for 1,420 GPH in filtration.
    _MG_7969.0.jpg

2. The 44. 1 canister and 1 HOB for 700 GPH filtration.
    _MG_7934-Edit.0.jpg

3. The 37 gallon guppy aquarium. 1 canister and 1 HOB for 700 GPH in filtration. This shot was right before I added the canister.
    _MG_7631.0.jpg

4. Sunhawk's 55. Still working on the aquascaping. 1 canister and 1 HOB for 550 GPH filtration. Soon to be raised to 710 GPH.
    _MG_7965.jpg

14. LaniKaiValued MemberMember

Wow those tanks look amazing! I think my favorite is the 44. I’m definitely loving the black sand I kinda want to add it to my other aquarium to lol.

15. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you LaniKai :)

Also corys do quite well with the BDBS. In the past there have been those that have said that it hurts the barbs. As you can see this is not so.

_MG_6886-Edit.0.jpg

_MG_7157-Edit.0.jpg

16. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Two weeks ago Sunhawk's 55 had gravel in it. I did a fish in swap out with the sand. Took a bit of doing but the fish came through it in good form :)

17. LaniKaiValued MemberMember

When I switch out the gravel I should take the fish out right? I can put them in a few buckets with a air stone in them. When I put the sand in is it better to have the tank full of water or empty?

18. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Sorry for the late reply. I switched the 55 over to pool filter sand with the fish in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice