changing from freshwater to saltwater

dano569

Valued Member
Reaction score
i have a 55 gallon freshwater tank i am thinking of converting to saltwater.i just wanted suggestions on what i would need to do it.i have 2 penguin 350 biowheels on it now.can i use those for saltwater?i'm thinking of getting a lionfish,a yellow tang,a lunar wrasse,and maybe a snowflake eel.i have small gravel but i don't know if i can use that or not.any help would be greatly appreciated

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would recommend using sand for the substrate, especially aragonite sand.  Many folks use live rock as the primary biological filter and don't even use mechanical filtration.  However, if you want to, you should be able to use the penguin filter, but maybe get some new bio-wheels for it.

Lionfish are really cool but if you get one you're limiting what can go in your tank with them.  They are predatory and will go after smaller fish and invertebrates, not to mention they have poisonous spines. Lunar wrasses (potentially 13 inches as adults) need at least a 90 gallon tank, preferrably larger.

Here's the saltwater setup page: https://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterAquariumSetup.htm

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They potentially should be able to co-exist in the same tank, but I'm afraid that's gonna be too much fish and too much bio-load for a 55 gallon.

The yellow tang can reach up to 7 - 8 inches (~20 cm)
The Lionfish can get up to 12 inches (~30 cm) - a very messy tank member, needs
The Snowflake Moray Eel can get up to 24 inches (~60cm) - also a very messy member, needs bigger than a 55 gallon

If you get all these fish, you'll end up having algae problems out the wazoo because of the high levels of nutrients in an overstocked tank.

Then only one I think you could realistically get away with putting in your 55 is the yellow tang. When it matures though, I think a 55 gallon would cramp it. Tangs need lots of swimming room.

What about the dwarf angels? Have you looked into those? You'd only be able to get one because they'd prolly fight in multiples in a 55, but they sure are purrrty! https://www.fishlore.com/profiles_coral_beauty_angelfish.htm

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom