Changing from fresh to saltwater 20 Gallon Tank

1. Brainlady Well Known Member Member

I am starting a new Bumble Bee Goby tank. I have BBG's in fresh water but know they will thrive more in a tank with around 0.0010 salinity. I am asking anyones advice on how to make the change without giving my little guys a heart attack. I have set up a new tank with 7 BBG's so I have time, but I do need, and would welcome some advice.
    My BBG's in my FW tank have done fine, 3 years and going strong. I am trying to build up confidence so that one day I can have a reef tank. I would love to have both FW and Reef..... one day.....:;jaws

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

0.0010 really isn't much salt at all to be honest. I would just start adding little by little each water change. I will not lie tho if you decide to go full salt I wouldn't bother doing it in a 20 gallon. Most fish just get too big plus the bigger you go the easier it is.

I'm pretty sure to get my 1.0025 I do about half a cup of salt per gallon. (I'm not 100% sure I will have to double check the box when I get home) Basically to get 0.0010 I bed you'd need less than 1/4 cup for the whole tank. I'd just start maybe adding like two-three tablespoons each water change and see where you are at. You shouldn't need much at all.

3. Brainlady Well Known Member Member

It is all new to me. I appreciate your advice and will add it slowly. I can do it in the 20 gallon because the bumble-bees are so tiny even fully grown. :;th