Changing from fresh to saltwater 20 Gallon Tank

1. Brainlady

Brainlady Well Known Member Member

I am starting a new Bumble Bee Goby tank. I have BBG's in fresh water but know they will thrive more in a tank with around 0.0010 salinity. I am asking anyones advice on how to make the change without giving my little guys a heart attack. I have set up a new tank with 7 BBG's so I have time, but I do need, and would welcome some advice.
    My BBG's in my FW tank have done fine, 3 years and going strong. I am trying to build up confidence so that one day I can have a reef tank. I would love to have both FW and Reef..... one day.....:;jaws

2. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

0.0010 really isn't much salt at all to be honest. I would just start adding little by little each water change. I will not lie tho if you decide to go full salt I wouldn't bother doing it in a 20 gallon. Most fish just get too big plus the bigger you go the easier it is.

I'm pretty sure to get my 1.0025 I do about half a cup of salt per gallon. (I'm not 100% sure I will have to double check the box when I get home) Basically to get 0.0010 I bed you'd need less than 1/4 cup for the whole tank. I'd just start maybe adding like two-three tablespoons each water change and see where you are at. You shouldn't need much at all.

3. OP
    OP
    Brainlady

Brainlady Well Known Member Member

It is all new to me. I appreciate your advice and will add it slowly. I can do it in the 20 gallon because the bumble-bees are so tiny even fully grown. :;th