Changing from an internal to an external filter

Mistwalker

Reaction score
HI everyone,
Right now my 60 ltr is running a Ciano CF40 internal filter but I'm about to change to an external filter, the Oase FiltoSmart Thermo 100 Oase FiltoSmart Thermo 100 Aquarium External Filter

I'm trying to decide if I should run both filters for a while during the changeover or would removing the sponge from the old filter and putting it into the new one alongside it's own media for a while do the trick?

I use RO water if that has any bearing on it and it's a heavily planted tank with Co2 injection.
Stock is currently 7x Ember Tetra, 3x Lampeye Tetra and 1x Guppy.

Thanks in advance.

KingJamal2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mistwalker said:
HI everyone,
Right now my 60 ltr is running a Ciano CF40 internal filter but I'm about to change to an external filter, the Oase FiltoSmart Thermo 100 Oase FiltoSmart Thermo 100 Aquarium External Filter

I'm trying to decide if I should run both filters for a while during the changeover or would removing the sponge from the old filter and putting it into the new one alongside it's own media for a while do the trick?

I use RO water if that has any bearing on it and it's a heavily planted tank with Co2 injection.
Stock is currently 7x Ember Tetra, 3x Lampeye Tetra and 1x Guppy.

Thanks in advance.
I would run both at the same time and remove the internal filter once you’re absolutely sure the external is cycled.

I used this method in my switch from a sponge filter to an HOB and it worked pretty well

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree run both filters for about a month and the new filter should be well seeded by then and you can remove the old one.

OP
Mistwalker

Mistwalker

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'll do that. I'm just waiting on some glassware and an inline CO2 diffuser to arrive and then I'll get it all set up.

New Threads