55 Gallon Tank Changing fiter changes Nitrogen cycle ??

Beeker
It could cause you to go into a mini-cycle because you will be removing a large amount of your beneficial bacteria.
You shouldn't change your filter pad unless it is actually falling apart. If it is full of junk and clogged, just put some tank water into a bucket and rinse the pad off in it, then put it back in your filter. Do not use tap water because the chemicals in the water could kill your bacteria.

soldieroffortune1974
The nitrifying bacteria live and thrive in the filter media (pads).If you remove them,then you are removing a good portion of the bacteria needed to continue the cycle.All you need to do,is when you clean the gravel and/or do a water change,just wash off the used filter pad in the water removed from the aquarium,and put it back in.

The manufacturers say to replace them once a month,DON'T (or you can if you want) but you use the same 1 until it starts to fall apart,and not have to worry about it effecting the cycle.

angelfish220
We already talked about taking out the carbon in your other thread right?

Well if there is no carbon leaching in the water, there is no need to change your filter catrige, in fact it will, as you noticed, screw up your cycle. Just leave the cartrige in there, and if/when it gets clogged, just rinse it out in a bucket of old tank water (like from a water change)

Butterfly
Beeker I think I'm following you LOL You squeezed in right before me with excellent advice here and in another thread. Good job!
WOW! Three answers in two minutes. That's great response time.
I second and third everything that has already been said.
Carol

Beeker
Butterfly said:
Beeker I think I'm following you LOL You squeezed in right before me with excellent advice here and in another thread. Good job!
WOW! Three answers in two minutes. That's great response time.
I second and third everything that has already been said.
Carol
hehe
Thank you. ;D

lyndatu
A good practice is when the filter media becomes dirty, cut it in half of it and rinse the half you want to reuse with treated water. Put the rinsed half in the filter and add a new, fresh chunk of filter media in the filter. Doing this continually will prevent a huge loss of filter bacteria.

Good luck!

Drew 43920
Old filter has old charcoal ..?

lyndatu said:
A good practice is when the filter media becomes dirty, cut it in half of it and rinse the half you want to reuse with treated water. Put the rinsed half in the filter and add a new, fresh chunk of filter media in the filter. Doing this continually will prevent a huge loss of filter bacteria.

Good luck!
I think the old filter has old charcoal, Should I dump that out for now ? (Just charcoal not filter).
I intend to start stirring the gravel a little to see
whats what.
Any thoughts ?
TIA
Drew

soldieroffortune1974
If it's old charcoal,I wouldn't bother dumping it out,after a while it loses it's ability to work,and doesn't do any harm,and gives the filter more surface area for the bacteria to multiply,it's your call.....dump it or leave it,makes no difference.

Stir up the gravel to see what?

Drew 43920
Oh Yea, I have a Penquin Bio-Wheel

lyndatu said:

Good luck!
Oops.
I have a Penguin with a Bio-Wheel. Will this keep Nitrogen cycle going if I totally change filter ?
TIA
Drew

soldieroffortune1974
That's what the bio-wheel is for,solely for the bacteria to multiply and live on. I still wouldn't change the filter pad completely,washing it off and reusing it is much more beneficial,but you can if you want.

Drew 43920
To see how dirty it is ...............

soldieroffortune1974 said:
If it's old charcoal,I wouldn't bother dumping it out,after a while it loses it's ability to work,and doesn't do any harm,and gives the filter more surface area for the bacteria to multiply,it's your call.....dump it or leave it,makes no difference.

Stir up the gravel to see what?
To see how dirty it is ...

angelfish220
are you going to do live plants then or not, because all that wonderful dirt in the gravel will then become plant food, and make you plants very lush.

Drew 43920
I never thought of that........

angelfish220 said:
are you going to do live plants then or not, because all that wonderful dirt in the gravel will then become plant food, and make you plants very lush.
I never thought of that. Thanks.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom