changing fish from one tank to another Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by gef21, Mar 22, 2010.

1. gef21

gef21 Valued Member Member

ok so my 38 gallon tank now has substrate, plants some nice river rocks and is heating up. Took a reading of the water 7.4 ph 0 0 0 for everything else.

Once the temp is where I want it I am going to transfer over my fish from my 10 gallon and attach that filter to the tank to help get it cycled.

My question is what is the best way to move my fish over?

The water is the same tap water and same ph. The temp will be almost identical.

Should I put them in bags then float the bags and do all that?

Should I just put them straight from one to the other?

The fish are a golden gourami (sold to me as a honey but through looking online realized it is a golden), albino cories and neon tetras.

2. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

If the pH & temp is the same then you can just transfer them over to the new tank along with the filter. Just keep an eye on the parameters.

3. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

Im not the smartest in the bunch but if your gettin a 0 0 0 reading than i dont think the cycle has started yet.Have you added any organic material to produce ammonia?It sounds to me that once you move your fish over than the cycle will start.

4. OP
    OP
    gef21

cycle is complete in my old tank. I am transferring the filter from the old tank over to the new tank (which will bring the good bacteria with it).

Should I use TSS also or will my old filter be fine?

5. m

Yea now that i think about it that should be fine just do what aleyska girl said and test your water!!

6. OP
    OP
    gef21

Yeah I am a nut about testing my water.

7. m

I once did a complete cycle with fish and everything worked out ok especially with live plants.

8. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

It really depends when you started your other tank and how well the filter media is established. i think your aquarium info said 2/22? Bacteria lives on all surfaces like your decor and gravel but mostly on the filter meda. Since you put new gravel and decor in the new tank, you need to keep a close eye on things. You may get some slight readings due to that. Or if you are worried have a bottle of TSS handy for emergency.

9. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

If it were me I would add the TSS. For me it's a matter of better safe(start) than sorry.

10. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

If everything is cycled and healthy in the 10 gal, I might consider moving a good portion of the substrate over also. If you don't want to mix it for aesthetic reasons, maybe load up a couple of Nylon hose with the existing substrate from the tank an cover it with new gravel for a couple weeks.

11. OP
    OP
    gef21

thank you for all the advice guys.

I am going to use the old filter, TSS and trasnfer some of the substrate over.

12. OP
    OP
    gef21

well the transfer went almost ok. Has been 2 days since the transfer. Had 2 casualties the first night (2 neon tetras) but since then everything has been ok. The gourami and albino cories have successfully acclimated to the tank.

honestly neon tetras have been such a pain for me. Acclimating them to tanks, no matter how slow and patient, seems to net a high death percentage.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice