Changing Filters In Cycled Aquarium

Lovebug903

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
HI All!

I Currently Have A Tetra Whisper Internal Filter And I Want To Change It To A Hob Aqueon Filter That Has More Gph. But My Tank Has Been Cycled For Quite Some Time Now. What Is The Proper Way To Do This Without Ruining My Hard Work?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Switch your media straight across to the new filter if you can! Keep spare media in the filter if possible, in case you need extra in the future.

raptorsvt79

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
is it possible for you to run both filters at the same time for a while, or is the tank too small, to handle that? Or what you could do is place what ever media filter from the tetra filter to the aqueon....The problem is that aqueons don't have much room in there....

Lovebug903

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Its a 10gal. I plan on doing the switch once my 3 gal finishes cycling so I can take my betta out and put him alone. He gets along fine with the corys but he eats all there food and its too messy feeding them algae wafers so I'm just gonna keep my betta alone. If I run both filters would that be to much current for the cory's?

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The cories usually stay at the bottom so the flow won't reach them too much. What are the GPH's of both filters? There are usually ways to either diffuse or slow down the flow of filters also.

Lovebug903

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
the internal is 85 and the one I'm changing to is 105

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads