Changing Filter Media

turnonthebrightlights

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi

I've had my Edge a few months now and have decided to change the carbon, biomax and foam. The boxes state that you shouldn't change all 3 at the same time, which is fair enough. However, it doesn't say how long you should leave it inbetween changing each component. I changed the foam 2 days ago (thought I may as well start at the bottom of the filter and work my way up), soaking it in the tank water first, and want to change the carbon next.... any ideas on when I can do it?

Cheers

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi turnonthebrightlights, you will get more responses by starting a new thread, but I wouldn't change the sponge at all unless it was literally falling apart. This actually removes the bacteria and gives you a mini cycle as if you are starting from scratch again. With carbon, as above, change every 3-4 weeks, but I don't run carbon at all so don't have that expense!!
What is the third type of media in the filter? I got the carbon and the sponge...

turnonthebrightlights

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Tigerfishy

Thanks for the reply. It is called Biomax, and comes in the same box as the foam. (the foam was starting to break up a little, which was disappointing, as it's only a few months old). Luckily, to change it all only comes to about £8, so it's not massively expensive... Just need to know when to change each thing, to reduce cost and maximise efficiency.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your posts to a thread of its own to help you receive more responses and to prevent hijacking and older thread.

I recommend that you change your carbon every 3 to 4 weeks and use your Bio Max and sponges until they are falling apart. There is no need to replace these. Just rinse your bio max and sponges in siphoned tank water and NEVER tap water .

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lol, there you go, I've never heard of Bio-Max, luckily Ken got you for that!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads