Question Changing filter media

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a Fluval 6gal Edge that is very,very,very, slowly trying to end it's cycle. In about another month and a half it will be time to start changing filter media. It has a carbon, Biomax, Sponge, filter. I changed the carbon at 1 month. But if my tank ever does decide to cycle, when I change the other 2 will that mess things up?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You won't change the others. You'll just rinse them in discarded tap water if they ever get gross.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Most people don't change the filter media until it falls apart. It's a marketing ploy on the filter companies' part to make more money to say that media needs to be changed often. Carbon does need to be changed about once a month, but a lot of people here don't even use carbon (I do, and I put mine in leg of clean pantyhose and stick that in my filter). Just rinse your sponge and biomax in tank water (never tap water) during a water change and it'll be fine.

-Lisa

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You won't change the others. You'll just rinse them in discarded tap water if they ever get gross.

I'm pretty sure she meant discarded tank water, don't use tap water because the chlorine can kill the bacteria.

The main reason not to replace the other filter media is because it houses most of your beneficial bacteria, so keep it until its falling apart and never change it all out at once.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom