0.0%
  3. every 2 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. whenever it is needed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dano569 Member Member

i change mine once a month.i might start just changing it every 2-3 months.what about everyone else?

2. dahly Member Member

Once a month is what I was told to change the charcol. I'm curious what team Fishlore has to say.

3. dano569 Member Member

what i mean is the actual filter.  ;)

4. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

I change my filter media usually about once a month. Sometimes less frequently. I can't tell you the last time I used activated carbon. I only used carbon when I needed to remove medication from the water and I haven't had to use any medication in past year or so. My power filters and canister filters just use filter floss (the cheap stuff) to remove the gunk from the water. I do perform very frequent water changes - at minimum 10-30% water changes weekly with gravel vacuuming.

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I don't change the media in my HOB filters until water doesn't go through them anymore. I usually change the floss in my canisters about every month or 2. I never use charcoal unless it's part of the filter media. Don't see the need for it except for like Mike said when I need to absorb some medications from the tank.

6. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I only put new filters in when they can't be rinsed any more, and then I only change 1/2 at a time to preserve as much beneficial bacteria as possible. I use filter media that comes on a roll and cut it to what ever size that filter needs. 3 filters have sponges and they are rinsed the same as above. don't use charcoal either.
    Carol

7. Jason Well Known Member Member

Hmm that reminds me to get some more on Saturday...

Good polls dano!

8. dahly Member Member

My filter is an AquaClear.  It has a white pastic filter on the bottom that I rinse in tank water.  On top of that is the mesh packet of charcol, which "they" say is also a small part of the media and should be changed monthly.  Last and most important is the mesh packet of small, white media cubes.  I am told not to do anything at all with them, as they are what keep all the good bacteria thriving with a nice place to camp out.  Sounds like I don't need the carbon changes?   ???  Please fill me in.  thanks!

9. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Probably don't need the charcoal except after medicating to take the medication out. But the little white ring things are really good. i think they can get stopped up but it takes a longtime and can be rinsed in tank water. Just my thoughts
    Carol

10. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I agree with Butterfly. Sometimes charcoal is also good when your tank water has an odor. Some folks are more sensitive to the smell of their tank water, and in those cases, the charcoal can be helpful.

11. dahly Member Member

Thanks for the insights! :D

12. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

My 5 gallon tank has a Bio-Wheel filter which is NEVER changed but the prefilters get changed about every 10 days or so. I could go longer, I just don't like to. The small 3 gallon vase has a PennPlax Small World filter and I let it go for a month as every time I change it I have to recycle all over again. It has what looks like a piece of styrofoam in the bottom half and the top half is filled with activated charcoal. It does a good job once it gets going, but takes about a week to get conditioned.

I do water changes about 3 times a week. Usually try to do about 30% on each tank or more when the chemistry isn't what I want it to be. I was doing daily changes, but they got to the stage where they did not need it and the food I am feeding right now doesn't have much waste to it. All I have to do is watch the chemistry.

Shalom,

Rose

13. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Rose, do you change both the foam and carbon packet at the same time? It shouldn't recycle every time u change the media...

14. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

:(
    I know and I wish it were better, Emma; but the price of finding a filtration system small enough for the vase was to buy one with cartridges packed in plastic casings holding BOTH the styrofoam AND the charcoal so when one goes the other goes as well. There's no choice, I wish I knew of a small filter that would allow another way; but I afraid they would cause too much water disturbance. This filter does a fair enough job, it is just a pain going through the constant chemistry changes. I do use the Stress Zyme in his tank to help it along even though I don't as a rule like this kind of thing.

If anyone has any options for me as far as a different filtration system, please feel free to let me know. I am only working on the theory that ANY filtration system is better than none at all. This one is specially made for SMALL containers and has a control that allows a strict adjustment of airflow.

Thanks.

Shalom,

Rose

15. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Okay, Okay so I know I sent that last one twice! I'm not even awake yet :D ! My brain will kick in soon and I will be able to do amazing things all day -- 8) ,

Here are the promised pictures. I wanted to show the air pump and get a picture of as much of the set up as possible. Please remember that the glass of the vase is quite thick and tends to MAGNIFY things so the actual filter is not quite as large as it seems.

Attached Files:

16. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

It's hard to say when exactly to change the filter media because there are (1) different filter types, (2) different tank sizes, and (3) different stocking levels (amounts of fish in tanks). I think the more stocked your tank is, the more often you need to change your filter media - but I'm not 100% sure about it. The filter I have is AquaClear for 40-70 gallon tanks, although my tank is only 30 gallons. I maintain my filter according to my filter's instructions. There are 3 filter media in my my filter: carbon, sponge, and BioMax. In my type of filter, one can never replace all filter media at once. I replace one medium at a time - this ensures that bacteria are never totally removed from the filter and that the cycle contunues. I really like this filter - never had any problems with my water thanks to it. I replace carbon every month, sponge - every 2 months, and BioMax - every 3 months.

17. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member