Changing filter media.

1. Seatown12 Member Member

Alright quick question I changed my fish tanks filter media about 2 weeks ago (The old filter media was proboly about 5 months old) and just now a question came to my head. Did I kill all of my tanks beneficial bacteria? My tank has been running for about 5-6 months so the cycle has completed but I was wondering if I killed the beneficial bacteria.

2. Thunder Member Member

You didn't kill all of them. You only removed the beneficial bacteria that was living on the filter media you threw away. The rest are all over the filter and the tank. Don't worry, they'll quickly spread toward the new filter media.

3. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

You need to test your parameters to know the answer. Most of the nitrifying bacteria lives on the filter walls and media because that is where the most plentiful of oxygen is but it does live on the tank walls, decor, plants and surface of the gravel. You should be fine. Usually just rinsing your filter media out in bucket of tank water to get the gunk off is all that is needed but once it gets really gunky and not cleaning up as well, then replace it. That's what I do. I have individual inserts though, sponges and biomax.

4. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

Great advice from both members. If you don't want to take any chances when you do have to change filter media out you can put the new filters in the tank, hide them somewhere in a corner or behind a plant so the bacteria starts to grow on them two weeks later they should be good to go and you can switch them out with no worries. :)

5. Seatown12 Member Member

Ok thank you for the information I got scared for a second haha. I like the idea Choffman I will try it next time. Thanks everyone!