Changing Filter Media

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When it comes time to change my media I was wondering what the best method is? Would putting the soon to be filter media with the current one allow bb to transfer over to the new media? How long should I wait when doing this for the most effective transfer of bb?

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, sponge filters aren't quite that old yet but not fair from it. I'll just hold out on changing it for alittle longer.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just changing the pads in the filters. Sorry for not elaborating enough on some of these things.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn’t change it unless the pad was completely falling apart. If your filters have carbon in it, it might be tough to sustain your tank if you had to remove it for medication.

What I would do, depending on what kind of room you have is to start adding new media like bio rings into your filter and slowly start taking the carbon pads out.

spike98

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What steps would I need to take to change from carbon pads to bio rings? Any brands you could recommend? And is there anything else I am required to have with the bio rings?

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
spike98 said:
When it comes time to change my media I was wondering what the best method is? Would putting the soon to be filter media with the current one allow bb to transfer over to the new media? How long should I wait when doing this for the most effective transfer of bb?

I’m curious if someone could comment on the other part of the question:
If we put the new filter media in with the old material before it is removed from the filter in order to seed the new media how long until it’s considered seeded so replacing the old material doesn’t change the amount of BB.

Ioana Dog

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
spike98 said:
What steps would I need to take to change from carbon pads to bio rings? Any brands you could recommend? And is there anything else I am required to have with the bio rings?
For aqua clear you have the sponge at the very bottom. On top of that is carbon, purigen or whatever you need then on the very top you should have bio-rings, matrix or the off white short cylinder things that came with the filter. These can be in a filter mesh bag they have on amazon. Use the one with the bigger holes.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The general consensus is it takes about a month, or 4 weeks, for media to become seeded. However, that only applies to fully cycled tanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom