Changing Filter Cartridge While Cycling (Fishless)

BassKase

I have an Aqueon Quietflow Pro 10, and the filter cartridge is now causing the water to overflow and bypass the cartridge. I already tried to put the old cartridge just in the filter tank along with a new cartridge in the correct position, but they don't both fit. I had a thought, but I wanted to run it by the more experienced fish keepers here before doing anything. If I cut open the old cartridge and remove the carbon, can I put it back in the filter tank with a new cartridge in place without messing anything up with my cycling? I don't want to lose out on all the good gunk that's built up, and I also don't want to have an ineffective filter running. I've been having setbacks while cycling as it is, and I don't want to contribute more to that. Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

e_watson09

You never need to change your old cartridge out. Especially if you're still cycling then its not very old at all. I just stuff my filters with filter sponges and rinse them in tank water every water change. I have had some of them in the tanks for going on 2-3 years. I only replace when they're falling apart.

Upvote 0

The_fishy

I have an Aqueon Quietflow Pro 10, and the filter cartridge is now causing the water to overflow and bypass the cartridge. I already tried to put the old cartridge just in the filter tank along with a new cartridge in the correct position, but they don't both fit. I had a thought, but I wanted to run it by the more experienced fish keepers here before doing anything. If I cut open the old cartridge and remove the carbon, can I put it back in the filter tank with a new cartridge in place without messing anything up with my cycling? I don't want to lose out on all the good gunk that's built up, and I also don't want to have an ineffective filter running. I've been having setbacks while cycling as it is, and I don't want to contribute more to that. Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.
Should be good! Some people just remove the floss and shove that back into the filter.

Upvote 0

Danny002

Yes, just remove the floss from the cartridge and put it back in there. Also, I'd recommend getting something other than cartridges. It's way cheaper and you only have to replace them when they're basically disintegrating. I'd get the sponges and ceramics for aquaclear filters on amazon. They're really cheap and you get 3 sponges in a pack. They include the measurements on the amazon listing so if you just measure how big the compartment is you'll be all good. You can also get some kind of chemical media if you want, but not everyone uses those. You can also get some kind of filter floss or intake sponge if you want.

Upvote 0

thefishn00b

Yes, just remove the floss from the cartridge and put it back in there. Also, I'd recommend getting something other than cartridges. It's way cheaper and you only have to replace them when they're basically disintegrating. I'd get the sponges and ceramics for aquaclear filters on amazon. They're really cheap and you get 3 sponges in a pack. They include the measurements on the amazon listing so if you just measure how big the compartment is you'll be all good. You can also get some kind of chemical media if you want, but not everyone uses those. You can also get some kind of filter floss or intake sponge if you want.
on amazon you could get a pack of 3 aquaclear foam for a dollar!

Upvote 0

BassKase

Some people just remove the floss and shove that back into the filter.
That's what I was thinking. My filter and tank have been running for a month now, and they gunked up pretty good.

I'd recommend getting something other than cartridges.
That's my plan ultimately; however, I jumped the gun when my LED indicator started blinking and bought a multi-pack of cartridges. When those are done, I'm going to switch to something more reusable like a media bag with a filter pad.

I also added a sponge filter and intake sponge on the HOB, so those will be good too.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

One of the main problems with the cartridges is the carbon inside them starts breaking down and it starts clogging up the floss. No amount of cleaning will remove enough of it to where the water can flow through it freely. Just cut the fiber off the plastic frame. Toss the frame and carbon and put that piece of floss in with your new cartridge. Once you have used up all the cartridges just keep the floss off the final one and use it to seed the new longer lasting media.

Upvote 0

BassKase

Heres a Mod thread
Awesome! Thanks. I've been getting ideas from Aquarium Co-op and King of DIY too.

Upvote 0

StarGirl

When I had cartridges I cut a slit in it and dumped the carbon out when it was dry still, before I even used it. Don't get clogged up as fast that way. There really isnt much in there anyway.

Upvote 0

BassKase

Just cut the fiber off the plastic frame. Toss the frame and carbon and put that piece of floss in with your new cartridge. Once you have used up all the cartridges just keep the floss off the final one and use it to seed the new longer lasting media.
Awesome. That's exactly what I was planning on doing. Glad I'm on the right track with my thought process.

Upvote 0

BassKase

Just an update in case anyone was wondering. I cut all the floss out of the old cartridge and put it in the filter with the new cartridge. It didn't fit the best, but I made it happen. I also added a bottle of TSS because I've had enough troubles with cycling as it is, and I wanted to help with my filter adjustment. I followed mattgirl advice on another thread and turned off my filters, poured TSS in my HOB and on my sponge filter, added some tank water to the bottle to get more out, let it sit for 15 minutes with everything still off, and then resumed normal tank functions. That seemed to do a trick cause I dosed up to 2-3ppm ammonia before adding TSS, and 36 hours later it was down to a solid 2. 48 hours after, it's down to 1 with 5ppm nitrates. Finally some noticable progress! Once it drops to 0ppm ammonia, I'm gonna dose up to 2 or 3 again until it processes that in 24 hours. Then I'll dose up to 4ppm. Thanks everyone for the input.

I do have another question I've been wondering about. How long do you think I can safely store conditioned water in a closed bucket before I shouldn't use it in the tank? I typically prep a bucket or two 24 hours ahead for water changes, but I was thinking about having one always on had for evaporation refills.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I am very happy to hear that the TSS is helping this tank move forward.

I am curious as to why you normally prep buckets of water 24 hours before using them. Water conditioners work almost instantly to remove chlorine/chloramines so there is no need to age the water if adding a water conditioner. I add my conditioner (in my case Prime) to the bucket as it is filling with temp matched water straight from the tap. The chlorine is gone by the time the bucket is filled. I then pour it into the tank. When topping off I have a small 1 gallon container. Again I add conditioner as it is filling and immediately pour it in the tank.

To answer your question though keeping a bucket of it available for water changes or top offs shouldn't be a problem but if I were to do so I would run an airstone in the bucket of water. I can't swear to it but do think still water gets stale meaning oxygen depleted and over time will start forming a film on top without water movement.

Upvote 0

BassKase

I am very happy to hear that the TSS is helping this tank move forward.

I am curious as to why you normally prep buckets of water 24 hours before using them. Water conditioners work almost instantly to remove chlorine/chloramines so there is no need to age the water if adding a water conditioner. I add my conditioner (in my case Prime) to the bucket as it is filling with temp matched water straight from the tap. The chlorine is gone by the time the bucket is filled. I then pour it into the tank. When topping off I have a small 1 gallon container. Again I add conditioner as it is filling and immediately pour it in the tank.

To answer your question though keeping a bucket of it available for water changes or top offs shouldn't be a problem but if I were to do so I would run an airstone in the bucket of water. I can't swear to it but do think still water gets stale meaning oxygen depleted and over time will start forming a film on top without water movement.
Someone on the forum had talked about prepping the water 24 hours ahead, and since I use a powdered conditioner, that made sense to me. I've used one of my liquid conditioners the way you do.
As for using a smaller amount for top offs, the only reason I haven't done that is because my conditioners are concentrated enough that dosing is difficult. I plan on getting some Prime at some point soon to add to my arsenal. Lol.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Gotcha Some folks have come here thinking they have to age their water and are happy to find that they really don't have to do so. Back when only chlorine was added to our water supply aging it would allow the chlorine to dissipate but now some water companies are adding chloramines. It doesn't go away without help from a water conditioner.

Upvote 0

BassKase

Gotcha Some folks have come here thinking they have to age their water and are happy to find that they really don't have to do so. Back when only chlorine was added to our water supply aging it would allow the chlorine to dissipate but now some water companies are adding chloramines. It doesn't go away without help from a water conditioner.
That makes sense. I won't stress on emergency water changes then if I don't have time to prep water ahead. Thanks for all your input. Not just on my thread but on others as well. You provide a lot of great insight for us newcomers who are trying to sponge up all the information we can.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
Islandvic