Changing Charcoal Filters.

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Karen Morphis, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Karen MorphisNew MemberMember

I did a site search and couldn’t find an answer. I am using an under gravel filter and it came with small charcoal filters on the lift tubes. How often should they be changed and do I even need them. I have always used under gravel filters and they never had these before.

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Its a newer thing. The charcoal lasts about a month till its no longer effective. Do you need it, not really.

3. Karen MorphisNew MemberMember

Thanks so much

4. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Take them out, they’re just a gimmick and will reduce the efficiency of the filters. Also it’s now known that carbon is not a good idea in an aquarium. It has been implicated as a cause in various diseases...

5. NickAuWell Known MemberMember

At the risk of dragging this off topic I have to ask

Such as?

6. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Carbon produces microscopic dust particles that get into the sensory pores of the lateral line. This has been shown to be a contributing factor in HLLE (Head and Lateral Line Erosion) and it’s related condition HITH (Hole in the Head).

7. NickAuWell Known MemberMember

Agreed.

8. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I remember reading a paper, possibly a scientific paper, on it being the potential cause of hole in the head disease. I'm honestly not sure what to think.

9. Karen MorphisNew MemberMember

Thanks for the info. I don’t have any fish in there yet. My glass top, lights and pump are coming today and plants tomorrow. Will remove them ASAP.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice