Changing Barns!

CarrieFisher

Oh man!!
Right now, I board my horse about an hour away from where I live bc:

A.) the farm is nice,
B.) the trails are plentiful,
C.) in the summer, friends can rent farm owned horses and ride with me.

However, as mentioned, it's an HOUR each way!
If I just want to lay my eyeballs on him to make sure he doesn't have any nicks or cuts or whatever, it's at least a 2.5 hour trip, where only 30 minutes of that is spent with him!!
That's a "quick visit", and it's ALL traffic.

Anyhow...
I just got a call today that a farm that is 10 minutes from my house has a stall that just opened up!!

I'm going out to check the facilities out on Wednesday afternoon!!

I'm So excited!
This can make a world of difference in my life (and my boy's) if it works out!!!

We will miss all of our equine professionals, however
Especially his masseuse!!

Flowingfins

I can't imagine having to drive that long to see our horse, I hope it works out!

_IceFyre_

I hope it works out too! 1 hour is definitely far to drive to see your horse.
Good luck

CarrieFisher

For those who may be interested:

Toured the new barn today with the owner, and it will be perfect for us!!!!
He was SO friendly, so was the staff!!

He answered almost every single question the way that I wanted him to, and some answers were better than what I was expecting.

Daily turnout, whether permitting.
His stall will be twice as big as the one he's in now.
Far fewer horses at this facility.
Far less "busy" with daily hustle and bustle at this facility.
Private/locked, individual tack "lockers".
70 acres owner by the farm.
Access to this huge well known local park with trails (that is very horse friendly) is directly across the street!!

I told the owner that we're in!!
I'm lining up transport for (God willing) this weekend!

Flowingfins

Congratulations!
You'll definitely appreciate a smaller barn, there's way less drama.

CarrieFisher

We honestly didn't have any drama where I was, Flowingfins, I'm really going to miss my girls

Biggest drawback, I made a lot of good (and actually helpful) friends out there, not to mention the slew of really wonderful professionals (farrier, chiro, etc), that I will miss terribly!!

I dropped off my letter of intent today to the BO, very sad (but happy, too) day

Dave125g

That's good news a lot closer. I hope your horse don't miss all her friends human and equine . I worked at a ranch when I was younger all the border horses were buddies .

CarrieFisher

I'm sure he'll miss his girlfriends (equine), I'm sure he'll miss a few of the workers, too

Nanologist

I'm sure he'll miss his girlfriends (equine), I'm sure he'll miss a few of the workers, too

I'm sure he'll be happier to see his human mama more often though!

Flowingfins

We honestly didn't have any drama where I was, Flowingfins, I'm really going to miss my girls

Biggest drawback, I made a lot of good (and actually helpful) friends out there, not to mention the slew of really wonderful professionals (farrier, chiro, etc), that I will miss terribly!!

I dropped off my letter of intent today to the BO, very sad (but happy, too) day

That's awesome that there wasn't any drama, barns like that are the best. It stinks having to leave all of your friends though, are you going to have to find a new vet/farrier or are you staying with the same people?

Punkin

I can't imagine having a horse. It would be my dream come true.

Dave125g

Lol I had to take care of 90 of them years ago. Its a lot of work. 1 yea that would be a dream

CarrieFisher

Lol I had to take care of 90 of them years ago. Its a lot of work. 1 yea that would be a dream

Where we were boarding, there were over 50 privately owned horses, and they had about 50 hacks (it was a riding stable--trail rides).
It was always very busy, I certainly won't miss that aspect; this new place has about 40 horses, total
I think the less "busy" env't of the new barn will be better for my boy, too.

It was literally a life long dream of mine!

I was that little girl, that for every birthday, Xmas, and often, just random begging, would ask and pray for a horse.
When I hit my 30s, I was like, "wait, I can just DO this now!!" Lol

I leased two different horses (not at the same time) to make sure I could commit the time, energy, and finances to it.
After two years of doing that, I passively started looking at "horse for sale" ads and when I saw his face, I NEEDED to go meet him.
I had 4 different pre-purchase meetings with him before I scheduled a pre-purch vet check, then agreed to buy him when he was issued a clean bill of health.

I feel very fortunate!!
I know I'm lucky! Even on days when my back precludes me from riding, I just groom him, then hang out with him, and it's so therapeutic!
The stable is definitely my "church"

e2da6560fe2575b7946b222d86b0d729.jpg
32cd9221a916fade6abd006ee8613798.jpg

Hill Dweller

I used to work at a big riding school, the horses sure do have their particular friends, but I'm sure your horse will make new buddies in no time. Sounds great to have so much space!

CarrieFisher

I'm sure he'll be happier to see his human mama more often though!

I would go out no less than 2-3x a week, but I'll admit...
There were days that, considering the traffic and the drive, it was a bigger pain in the butt, and I started to not enjoy it as much!!
Which is just awful!
The drive out, and fighting traffic both ways, was killing the beauty of it all!!

Dave125g

Where we were boarding, there were over 50 privately owned horses, and they had about 50 hacks (it was a riding stable--trail rides).
It was always very busy, I certainly won't miss that aspect; this new place has about 40 horses, total
I think the less "busy" env't of the new barn will be better for my boy, too.
Same thing we were primarily a riding ranch only 5 border horses .

Punkin

CarrieFisher beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing. There are stables within bike riding distance from my home, 5 minute car ride, but I have no idea if they board. Maybe I'll have to take a look.

Nanologist

I'm not going to lie, I'm dying a little with each of these posts. I miss my girl Crystal(half star-snip).

Want to ride a real treasure again. (Without going back home to MN!)

CarrieFisher

Our move went so smoothly!!
Being a retired racehorse, he trailers like a pro!!!
He did "talk" the whole way, though! Lol

He is already making friends with a cute female haflinger across from him named Chunky, lol

Anyhow, I'm just beyond happy about this!!
I timed it on the way home with the trip feature...
12.4 minutes from my home!
It's not one of those gorgeous show barns with chandeliers, it's a family farm, just like our previous farm, but with so much more space and some really great perks.

One of the women in my barn already gave me the skinny on the farriers and I may have a really good barefoot guy lined up already

80b0ec22719e1a0ea5fcdddbfcda3208.jpg

Nanologist

Our move went so smoothly!!
Being a retired racehorse, he trailers like a pro!!!
He did "talk" the whole way, though! Lol

He is already making friends with a cute female haflinger across from him named Chunky, lol

Anyhow, I'm just beyond happy about this!!
I timed it on the way home with the trip feature...
12.4 minutes from my home!
It's not one of those gorgeous show barns with chandeliers, it's a family farm, just like our previous farm, but with so much more space and some really great perks.

One of the women in my barn already gave me the skinny on the farriers and I may have a really good barefoot guy lined up already

80b0ec22719e1a0ea5fcdddbfcda3208.jpg

This is music to my ears! Awesome!

Barefoot ftw!!!

Good for both of you!

Win, win, right!?

CarrieFisher

Absolutely!!!!
I just can't stop smiling about it

Nanologist

Absolutely!!!!
I just can't stop smiling about it

Rock on! I'm smiling and don't even know either of you!

Good stuff like this makes the world go round!

Flowingfins

I'm glad the move went so well!

Redshark1

I'm really pleased for you and your boy. Good news improves the day of those who care.

What I'm wondering though is how you have time for aquaria when you have a horse. Does keeping an aquarium do something different or is it more of the same good feelings?

CarrieFisher

With the horse, I have a bond; I climb onto this 1200lb free spirit, who could easily kill me... but he doesn't
It's kind of like the bond you build with a dog, but greater, bc this animal carries you safely when it really can do otherwise.
You feel good when your horse is doing good.
It's the greatest feeling in the world when someone says "wow! He's looking great!! What are you feeding him? What are you bathing him with? What are you ______?", bc they want their horse to look good too.

Also, I never imagined that the first horse I owned would be a thoroughbred.
Before I bought him, I leased an Appendix and a Quarter Horse (both for about a year, but not simultaneously).
When I went out to look at Blake, I fell in love with his face.
I went out four different times to make sure he was what I wanted.
The only real guideline I had was sound (mentally and physically), no dangerous stupid behavior (biting, etc), and he needed to be at least 16h (which he is) bc I'm 5'8".

He IS difficult, though.
I worry that if I didn't have him, where might this difficult retired racehorse end up?
The prospects in the US for them are not good.
Most of our dogs eat them without their owner's knowledge.
They auction off "unwanted" horses by the pound to companies that render them for dog food.

Even if I can never ride again due to my back, I'll probably still feed and care for him until finances dictate otherwise.

With the fishies...
It's more of the same good feelings.

I get an odd sense of satisfaction when the fish are all thriving, the water is healthy, they eat well and varied, the Fry are growing, etc...

It's not a matter of "time" for it, aquarium maintenance is kind of a night time gig around here.
If I'm sitting on the couch watching them and I see a plant shifted, I fix it.
If it's water change day, I do my normal day stuff, then in the evening, I do my water change.

I bartend.
I work Tuesday daylights,
Then thurs, fri, sun nights.
So that's 4 shifts (which is full-time at my bar which is the maximum allowable number of steady shifts that we can hold, unless you pick up a single shift to help another one of the girls out).

I see B on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.
(More now!!! )

My house cleaning is on a rotation; I don't clean my entire house in one day.
On Mondays, I dust and vacuum the whole main floor. On Tuesdays (bc I switch to slightly nocturnal, so I stay up crazy late) I do the kitchen and the baseboards throughout the house.
On Thursdays, I do the bathrooms.
And on Fridays I dust and vacuum all of the bedrooms.
I'm one of these weirdos who is farrrrr more productive at night, so on days off, I'm out running errands, I see B, I usually stop off and browse whatever LFS I'm near (sometimes I think that's a sickness!! If I pass and LFS or a tack shop, I HAVE to stop in, even if it's just to look around).

It's just about time management, but the aquarium doesn't cut into my life at all (just my wallet, lol).
I do that stuff late at night when the rest of the world sleeps and I cannot, lol

Punkin

I like how you call him B. One of my beloved cats was named Bandit, and we called him B.

CarrieFisher

Lol, his barn name was Blake when I bought him, and (as you know ) it's bad luck to change a horse's name
So I didn't change it, but he's:
Blake
Blakey-Boy
B
Stinky
Turds Furgeson
Buddy

Lol

When he raced (his best was only 2nd place), he was Langartic (JC#i05372; I was delighted when I discovered how legible his tattoo was so I could look him up!!

fc94b6040623429bafaef7a2ffe2e112.jpg

Punkin

Oh I didn't know is bad luck to change a horse's name

Redshark1

Thanks for the explanation, I understand those good feelings. You're a wonderful person with a lot of love to give. I'm so glad you made your dream come true. Make sure you look after yourself.

CarrieFisher

Thanks for the explanation, I understand those good feelings. You're a wonderful person with a lot of love to give. I'm so glad you made your dream come true. Make sure you look after yourself.

Thanks, man
Sometimes I def neglect myself!! Lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Flowingfins
  • Horse
Replies
Views
Flowingfins
  • bassbonediva
  • Horse
2 3 4 5
Replies