Changed From Gravel That Sand.

1. GeorgeDaGreat

GeorgeDaGreat Valued Member Member

I just changed the substrate from gravel to sand and in doing so the aquarium looks like this.

I was wondering what the best way to get rid of it was. Should i just let it settle? And if so should the filter be on or off? (There is nothing in there apart from sand and wood.)

Would doing anfew water changes solve the problem?

Attached Files:

2. GabeC

GabeC Valued Member Member

That happens when you don't rinse the sand well enough. I'd put a sponge over your filter intake, and a mesh bag over that. If the filter takes in sand, it can mess up its impeller. It'll probably take a couple days before it settles, but leaving your filter off will kill its beneficial bacteria.

3. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

I have no experience with sand but I've read to just let it settle. Could take days, skim off any big clumps from the water and let filter on. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in soon.

4. Cricket lynn mclean

Cricket lynn mclean Well Known Member Member

You could do a water change to help clear it faster. I put an aluminum baking pan at the bottom of the tank and pour the water slowly onto that.

Also, For future reference, this method worked very well for me.

5. mccann1987

mccann1987 Valued Member Member

If its possible. I would drain the water, take the sand out and rinse it properly. If you are unsure how to do this research on you tube.. Then when the water is running clear/clearish after rinsing, replace the sand in the tank. Make sure its still wet/damp as this will reduce clouding. When filling the tank again put a plate upside down onto the gravel and gently poor the water onto the plate so it doesn't disturb the sand. This will keep the clouding to a minimum.

6. jl_1005

jl_1005 Valued Member Member

I use sand all the time. Even after 6-7 rinses, the aquarium still gets a bit cloudy after adding water. But it usually clears up in a day with the filter running.

It's important to rinse the sand properly.

7. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

This is my 120 ten minuets after set up with brand new play sand. d7f40fb27906e6a05873ec2160c323cd.jpg

I did it right as it was my 3rd time and i learned lol have the sand in a bucket and run the water on it letting the water over flow whilst churning the sand for at least 15 mins per bucket, sand is basically tiny gravel full of dust. Get that dust out its as simple as it sounds but a tedious process.

IMG_2021.JPG

IMG_2021.JPG

8. mccann1987

mccann1987 Valued Member Member

The reflection of the lamp on the left of the tank looks like its actually inside the tank... It made me giggle. :)

9. JLeeM

JLeeM Well Known Member Member

I use Black Diamond Blasting Sand, and rinse each 10-15 pounds anywhere from 12-16 times. Water is clear within 30 minutes. Probably sooner if I bothered to watch and time it.

10. a

abheeshs Valued Member Member

If no fish, just use your gravel vacuum to clean up the sand couple times. Then the filter will take care of the rest.

11. bNissan

bNissan Valued Member Member

I recently cleaned sand and found that using a large plastic tote to clean 50 lbs at a time is a much more efficient method of cleaning sand. I held the hose in my hand as I stirred the sand and it only took about 15 minutes for each 50 lb bag of sand. I had 150 lbs of sand clean in no time, and the tank was crystal clear whenever I added it.

12. A

Aceranch Valued Member Member

You could always vacuum the water into a bucket covered with a tshirt. Then put the water back in but use something to buffer the agitation like a plate or small bucket.

13. OP
    OP
    GeorgeDaGreat

GeorgeDaGreat Valued Member Member

Just did a roughly 90% water change which seems to have cleared up most of the dust.

I think the colour is due to the piece of wood which i only soaked for a few hours.

Attached Files: