Changed Filter Media

1. Nwehby

Nwehby Valued Member Member

Hello,

I was rinsing out my filter in tank water while doing a change and noticed a hole in the corner. I got a new bag (I have the filters you make yourself, ripped the bottom off the old one and put that plus the carbon into the new one and replaced it after soaking in the tank water I had siphoned out. Should this be sufficient to keep my tank cycled?

30g- 2 filters going. Tetra whisper 10g and a 40g filter (the one I changed).

Thanks!

2. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

First of all, adorable avatar!!!

I would think your are fine. All of your old media is just inside the new media right? And you didn't let it dry right? Do you have seachem stability? You might dose your tank with that just to be sure, but if you do have a cycle bump it likely will not be anything major, especially since you have two filters running and the other was not changed.

ETA - This was also not your biosponge right? It was just the mechanical filtration component? They both have BB, but the bio media I think has more.

3. OP
    OP
    Nwehby

Thanks!

I ripped off the bottom part of the white thing with the carbon in it and shoved that into the new pouch. It was soaking in tank water the entire time during this process. I dosed full tank volume stability afterwards just in case.

I don't know what you mean. I did not do anything to the black thing that sits behind the filter itself to catch bigger particles if that's what you meant?

Ok I googled it,
    I do not have that type of filter. So I did not replace that.

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467553026.208025.jpg

That bag is what I replaced, I filled it with the bottom half of the old one and all the carbon that was in the old one.

4. jhigg008

Sounds good, just keep an eye on the parameters for the next week.

Just fyi I see you have a topfin. The black sponge is actually your biological filtration. That is where the majority of your bacteria colonizes. Make sure not to replace that unless it is literally disintegrating. If you need to wash it just swish it in either tank water in a bucket during your water change or you can use some tap water that has been dechlorinated with prime if thats what you use.

5. OP
    OP
    Nwehby

Ok I kept that intact

6. jhigg008

Sounds like you did everything right! :)