Change To My Stocking - Guppies And Harlequin Rasboras

1. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

I posted a long-winded message on my old thread and realised probably no-one would read it ;) Short version here!

25 US gallon tank, planted, 32 inches L x 12 inches W x 16 inches H. Sharp gravel so not suitable for bottom dwellers. 4 male guppies in currently, all getting along great. Final stocking plan:

5 male guppies
    10 harlequin rasboras

How does this sound?

Aqadvisor thinks this is only 67% stocked but looking at the tank now, with just the 4 guppies, I think it will look pretty full with grown fish... Am I wrong?

Also, how many fish should I add at a time and how often?

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

You could actually up the guppies to 8 since there will be less aggression in a larger group. You are pretty full in the middle to top levels so if you don't want to add any bottom feeders then you could stick with 8 Guppies and 10 Harlequin Rasboras. If you want some bottom feeders put a 1 cm layer of sand on top of the gravel and then you could add a school of Corydoras.

3. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

Thank you!

Any thoughts on how to add the rasboras in particular? I don't want to overload things and crash the cycle but don't want schooling fish to be miserable in too small a group... what's the best balance?

This is my gravel, I'm assuming it will be too sharp?

Unipac Black Glass 2-3mm (25kg)

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would add 3-5 harlequins at a time. They would rather be in a bigger group but it's only for 2 weeks or so so they will be fine.

5. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

Thank you!

BottomDweller, I've just noticed that you're in England too. Can I be opportunistic and ask if you use a special device for water changes? Everyone talks about pythons but I'm not sure they are compatible with UK taps, or if there's an equivalent here.

6. BottomDweller

No I just siphon water out into buckets and refill the tank by carrying clean milk bottles through the house :)

7. OP
    OP
    Susiefoo

Thanks. Will carry on with the old school bucket method then :)

8. BottomDweller

I don't know if pythons work with our taps but I would like to know. Sounds like it would be useful.