change to live sand??

Status
Not open for further replies.

behappy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hello, I am brand new here i have had my tank for about a year and when I purchased it the lady told me the rock was fine but a lot of the pictures I see the live sand. How does one go about changing to live sand and do I have to have live sand? I have 6 fish listed and I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank. thanks for any info :}

Last edited:

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
As I understand it, if your tank has sand in it and has been running for a year, it will be live sand. The stuff from your live rock will have grown and expanded into the sand, colonizing it just like it would colonize previously "dead" rock.

OP
B

behappy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the little pebble rocks on bottom of tank. I also have live rock along back of tank but I was wondering is it necessary for me to have sand and not the little pebble rock on bottom? thanks a bunch

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's going to depend on your livestock and what they need/prefer, which is going outside of the bounds of my knowledge. I'm sure another saltwater keeper with more knowledge of specific fish and their requirements will come around and be able to help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom