change substrate How Do I

1. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

So I just got my first plant an anubias as part of my going for green campaign in my betta tank. Looking for some moss or grass to put in for my eventual shrimp. But that is besides the point.

will slowly add plants as my skill grows. However I will be doing the same thing in my 20g L community. I am thinking of switching to sand from gravel or more plant friendly substrate when I get to them. Suggestions on how you would change over substrate?

Also this tank has a LED light plant suggestions it all gets natural light from the window in the room but muted.

Tank inhabitants are
    1 female platy and two of her off spring running around that survived.
    6 zebra danios
    5 Cory cats
    1 bn pleco

all water looking great as far as readings. Regular changes what not. So....yeah

2. atc84 Well Known Member Member

I've never changed substrate before, but you would have to take out the fish for a couple hours. Gravel works fine for plants btw, but more to the question, i would empty the tank and scoop out all the gravel, if you're low on time it doesn't have to be perfect, the gravel probably wouldn't show.

Another way to do it is scoop out the gravel with the water, then use a sock or container of sort, put sand inside it, and submerge it without spilling sand. once the sand is wet, pour it as close to the bottom of the tank as possible to keep it from clouding. This is how i add more sand to my tanks. :)

Thats a very well stocked tank, and a lot of the bacteria lies in the substrate. I would expect a mini cycle, because tanks only have enough bacteria that it needs, and even if you have ton of media in the filter, it doesn't matter since a large portion of the bacteria is in the substrate. When the substrate is removed, you only have a fraction of the needed bacteria as needed for the bioload. I would recommend feeding less, adding quick to grow plants, and some water changes to reduce ammonia if it gets past .5 or so. :)

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Hi :) i switched one if my tanks from gravel to sand with fish in by slowly, over the course of a week removing cups of gravel and putting it in tights in the corner of the tank. Then, I used a 2litre bottle to put the sand in (search for a video, so easy!) and it never went cloudy. Keep the tights in the tank and after a couple of weeks remove a cup every day to ensure you don't damage your cycle :)

4. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I've changed my gravel before. All I did was put all my fish in a big sterlite container and added my equipment to the container. Took me about a day to do everything. After I changed the gravel and filled up the tank I added all my fish and they did great. ( well I didn't really changed the gravel but I added dirt to the tank)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum