Change of Plans... 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by pinksprklmonkey, Apr 3, 2010.

1. p

pinksprklmonkey Valued Member Member

Ok so originally my 55 was going to be a cichlid tank, however after much consideration I decided I should go with something easier (ie less aggressive) until I understand all the other things involved with community tanks first. Soooo...

This was what I was originally going to put together in a smaller tank which was a 30 gallon (but now is going in my 55):

cherry barbs, lemon tetras and german blue rams, and it will have live plants.

Here's the question, what else could I put in there since it is going to be able to have more fish? I was thinking possibly an Angel or two, or maybe some Silver Dollars? I was also looking at the Rosy Barbs, guppies and Cardinal Tetras. I'm looking to have decent sized schools of any of the schooling fish (at least 5 or 6).

I kinda want at least one decent sized fish, since my biggest fish is the ram at 3 inches.

I'm open to suggestions! Thanks! :;fb

2. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi.

How many of those fish in your stocking list are you planning to put in your 55? IMO, Cardinal tetras sound nice, a school of 6 of em'. And then lastly one Angel will be good in your tank. I'm not so sure about your ram so better to wait for more input about that from other members :) Best of luck! :;hf

3. OP
    OP
    p

I was thinking maybe:

6 cherry barbs
    5 or 6 lemon tetras
    4 german blue rams

All in the appropriate gender ratios.

4. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Good for you for not going crazy with your numbers. 6 cherry barbs would get lost in a 55. I just moved my 11 from a 20 gallon to a 29, and the 29 looks empty. 6 would be good to start with, but ultimately I think you're going to need around 15 to make the school stand out. Same goes for the tetras. I wouldn't do more than 4 rams, and I'd add them last to give your tank enough time to stabilize.

IME, barbs are best kept 1m:1f - The males are not the only ones who compete for breeding rights.

5. OP
    OP
    p

Ok, so bigger schools, thanks! So the Cardinal Tetras would work with the Angel? They won't nip the Angel's fins? I just don't want aggression causing any of the fish stress. I really like Cardinals though... is there much a difference between then and Neons? I know Cardinals are a little bigger.

Thanks!

6. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't suggest 4 rams incase you get a pair or 2, then your tank could become a war zone.

7. OP
    OP
    p

If I got all female would the rams be alright?

8. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Yeh that would be okay :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice