20 Gallon Tank Change of plans for my 20g… again

Candace

So I posted a thread about how I was going to stock my 20g long. What happened with my tanks was an outbreak of Ich, I lost all but a few fish, then those fish passed before I could move them. I left my tanks for months after that bc it honestly depressed me, and today I went to dismantle my 40g breeder. Keep in mind I haven’t done maint in MONTHS, and I found one of my female cherry barbs still alive!! And even a couple of nerite snails (thought all my snails died during the increased temp). So I’m still downsizing but now the plan is to move her and the nerites into the 20g. Once the cycle is more stabilized I’ll start slowly adding other cherry barbs (I’m thinking up to 7). Then I’m not sure what I’ll put with them. All I know I’ve named her Mira (when I told my coworker abt this today she called her my miracle fish and I kinda liked the sound of that). I feel so horrible that I didn’t check the tank more thoroughly but I’m so happy she made it. Pic of the redone 20g (waiting until next payday to get more plants, the anacharis was a last minute buy after I found her). I’ll be moving Mira and the snails in tomorrow.

37BEBEE8-744B-481A-B7BF-4BD9DA7F0B9B.jpeg

Noroomforshoe

Congratulations!. I had a frustrating event recently, when my nephew dumped half a contaner of fish food in my tank and i was up trying to clean it for like 8 hours. I eventually removed all the fish, and low and behold, a clown pleco I thought was dead because i had not seen it since i bought it 3 months previos was swimming around.
so anyways, a clown pleco could be a cool addition. maybe some platies, 3 american flag killies.

Candace

Got her and the few snails set up tonight. She’s definitely stressed but I tried to acclimate slowly so I’m hoping she pulls through. Next step: more plants.

8CF81B1A-EF9D-4286-B446-B58FBF1B099E.jpeg
43B5C7A2-A977-4807-967C-29956ACBCC9E.jpeg
98D5B769-C7BE-4026-968C-C9F6110E5E93.jpeg

PeterFishKeepin

hi, the orange snail in 2nd photo looks like a netrite snail but the long dark twisted snail looks like Malaysian Trumpet Snail, MTS i could be wrong others will comment i would think

Candace

hi, the orange snail in 2nd photo looks like a netrite snail but the long dark twisted snail looks like Malaysian Trumpet Snail, MTS i could be wrong others will comment i would think
They’re rabbit snails, so far I’ve been lucky enough to avoid MTS, though I have gotten pond snails and micro ramshorns before.

Candace

So what happens as I’m trying to start a new cycle?? The power goes out and the filter cuts off, hate this house

Noroomforshoe

If the power is out for 36-40 hours or so everything should be fine. If the power is out for longer then 2 days and a night, scoop tank water in a cup, and pour it over the filter media, repeat this a few times, and then do it again every 6 hours, this will keep the filer bads wet, and the biological colony growing. To airate the water even more, pour some tank water onto the water surface to break up the water surface, every few hours to promote oxygen exchange. It is good to have a battery-powered air pump on hand for power outages,

Candace

If the power is out for 36-40 hours or so everything should be fine. If the power is out for longer then 2 days and a night, scoop tank water in a cup, and pour it over the filter media, repeat this a few times, and then do it again every 6 hours, this will keep the filer bads wet, and the biological colony growing. To airate the water even more, pour some tank water onto the water surface to break up the water surface, every few hours to promote oxygen exchange. It is good to have a battery-powered air pump on hand for power outages,
I meant to update, but everyone is good, power was only out for 5-6 hours. I didn’t know battery powered filters were a thing?! I’m definitely going to look into that bc this is not the first time and probably won’t be the last that the power has gone out at this house. Thank you!

PeterFishKeepin

IDK about battery powered filters, but there is battery powered airstones/bubblers.
I didn’t know battery powered filters were a thing?

Noroomforshoe

Battery bowered air pumps, you can get one pretty cheep on amozon. Glad you got your power on. but its good to have one for next time. My power was out for three days a while back. Thank goodness all the fish were ok!

Candace

Update:
Current stock is 6 female cherry barbs and the 6 snails. The water wisteria is doing amazing, the Val seems to be struggling a bit but I definitely see growth and new sprouts, javas are doing great, and the tiger lotus is growing quickly, already have three nickel/quarter sized leaves. Everything’s going nicely so far!

72367412-245B-441E-9112-7F8E091FAAA3.jpeg
3A6C93C4-9D84-405D-A971-6F9A20F38022.jpeg
286B1CFA-70C4-47AF-BB55-F8D9BA48B564.jpeg
8EB2F8C0-A660-4E69-B1E4-58110AD2367A.jpeg

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom