change in PH good or bad?

Discussion in 'pH' started by crystalm04, Jul 17, 2015.

1. crystalm04

crystalm04Valued MemberMember

Just tested My PH amongst other things in my 37 gallon. Was about to go purchase some fish so I figured I'd test all my water levels. It's reading at a 6.8. My tap water PH is a 7.6. I normally always test my PH after a water change and its always a 7.6 so I don't know if it drops every time to this. What can be causing this and is this harmful to my fish?

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

Let the tap water sit for 24 hours before testing the pH. It's inaccurate otherwise.

What is your water change schedule? What are your nitrates and how often do you do water changes?

3. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

I change my water in all my tanks once a week. usually every Monday. Monday was the last time I changed it. All my other tanks PH is stable at a 7.6. My ammonia, is at a 0 and so are my Nitrites. Nitrates are at 5.

OOOPs sorry Nitrates are at 0 also. was reading results from other tank. Tank has only been up for just over two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  4. LiterallyHydro

Derp. Mixed up my posts. Hang on.

Edit: OK! Here we go again! ;D

The main thing you want to do is let the water sit out for 24 hours before testing it from the tap, it's less accurate.

5. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

6. LiterallyHydro

If I read this correctly, the pH in your aquarium is 7.6? You should not add crushed coral, those levels are fine.

7. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

No its a 6.8, all my other tanks are reading 7.6 so they are fine. last water change was done Monday and all were reading 7.6 at that time. 6.8 in my 37 gallon is what has me concerned.

8. LiterallyHydro

Is there a lot of driftwood or peat in the tank? And with that low of a pH, I would just use a media bag filled with crushed coral to buffer the tank to a higher pH. It would also stabilize the pH more at a higher number.

9. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

No I don't have any driftwood or peat. not sure why it has dropped. Ill try the crushed coral and see how that helps.

I did recently add an extra pouch of carbon in my filter media. could that have changed my PH?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  10. LiterallyHydro

I've not heard of carbon messing with your pH, to be honest.

11. Geoff

GeoffWell Known MemberMember

I put crushed coral in a media bag and put in my filter to buffer my pH. It's 7.8 in my tap but falls to 6 in my tank. My water is not hard at all so the coral buffers the pH. It's still been steady at 7.8 in my tank for a week now.

12. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Ok well going to go get some now. thanks you.

13. LiterallyHydro

Any time. Good luck.

14. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It seems a lot of people that use pool filter sand have been getting pH drops lately... maybe it doesnt buffer pH as well as other substrates, the low KH in it maybe?

15. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Good luck.... if the KH is low than the pH will usually be unstable.

16. LiterallyHydro

17. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

That's why I advocate people to get sand specifically made for aquariums from the get-go to save the extra expense and effort in the long run...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

18. LiterallyHydro

I don't think having a media bag filled with crushed coral is much of an expense. I actually find it more expensive to buy the sand from a pet store than it is to use pool filter sand and a bag of crushed coral if you want a higher pH.

19. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

PFS is silica sand. It's inert. It's actually made of the same stuff as the "aquarium sand" only it costs a lot less.

I've noticed pH drops in livebearer tanks as well. I can't help but wonder if it's due to their bioload - decaying matter lowers pH, that's why leaves, wood, and dead peat moss tend to drop the pH. If you don't have high kH, a large amount of decaying matter in the aquarium could, in theory, cause a pH drop. I wouldn't expect it to be that large of a swing, but still...

20. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

I have a gravel substrate in all my tanks. All my other tanks PH is fine. Its just my 37 gallon with PH issues. I was told also overfeeding can have something to do with it. going to cut back on that to see if that helps. I ended up getting some seachem regulator to get it up to a 7.0 at least and slowly go from there. My LFS owner said the crushed coral will work but will continue to raise the PH and have it at high levels.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice