Change from gravel to sand

Discussion in 'Freshwater Substrates - Gravel, Sand' started by soarl, Dec 30, 2012.

1. soarl

soarl Valued Member Member

I decided to get rid of the technicolor puke gravel and switch to a sand substrate. I went with the Black Diamond blasting sand. Here are a few before, during and after pics for your pleasure.

Before
    [​IMG]

Durring

[​IMG][​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Still a bit cloudy. It's clearing up by the minute though!

2. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

It looks great!! I love using black sand :)

cichlidman, I think you can only get it (brand name, anyway) at Tractor Supply. :)

4. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Your tank looks fantastic with the black sand! Great choice!

5. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

I'm loving the new look :) much better

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Doesn't take much to look better than clown puke ;) But yeah, looks 100 times better.

7. Magoo

Lol some people like clown puke gravel ;) but in your case the black sand is soooooooooo much better :) are you going to add more plants now you have got the sand? I find dark substrate really makes plants pop in the tank although I have got light and dark in my two tanks

8. OP
    OP
    soarl

Thanks and thanks! Yes I'll be adding more plants now. I've got a few in a little 10gal nursery tank I set up for plants that i'm propagating or that need some extra care. I've also took my bushy little Petite Nana and split it off into 5 separate plants so I'm expecting those to start bushing out soon. I would love to get another piece of wood in there or possibly some rock and also some type of grassy foreground plant. As soon as I fill the tank up i'm going to try to ditch the castle...that is if my daughter will let me lol.

9. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C Well Known Member Member

lololol at the clown puke comment... The tank does look fantatsic with the black sand!

Good luck trying to ditch the castle, I know mine is in for the long haul lol

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
  10. OP
    OP
    soarl

Yeah...I mean...it's a cool castle and everything but it doesn't really look natural and it's a pain in the booty to clean! My daughter picked it out though and she really does like it.

Yes it was from  and it was only like 7.99 for a 50lb bag! I got the finer grit stuff. I was worried about it being course but it's quite soft and natural feeling. It did need quite a bit of washing. In retrospect I probably should have washed it even more than I did but what's done is done now!

11. p

porkozone New Member Member

Looks much better. Thanks for sharing!

FYI my castle is in there for long haul as well for the same reason!

12. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I have a castle in my 55 :)

spotlight 027.JPG

13. OP
    OP
    soarl

Yes you do! A much cooler looking larger castle!

14. Magoo

You could always hide the castle behind some bushy java fern and tell your daughter it's a jungle castle ;) it might work for an hour

15. OP
    OP
    soarl

A good idea. I thought about trying to make a forest type scene out of the whole thing with a castle buried in there some where!

16. cichlidman

cichlidman Well Known Member Member

tractor supply is sooo far from me 50 miles or so =( guess ill try grainger

17. Magoo

It could work and then you both will be happy :) and it could look cool too :)

18. AnthonyC4C

AnthonyC4C Well Known Member Member

okay...okay... see you guys at least have pretty cool looking castles and I got THIS to deal with LoL

DSCN5415.jpg

P.S. what is the Big leafed plant in the corner, I LIKE IT!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2012
  19. OP
    OP
    soarl

A type of amazon sword I believe. I picked it up a Meijer and they don't have any of their stuff labeled.

20. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Rather than having the castle in the center and making it the focal point you could move it to the back corner.
    Situate it catty corner and put some plants behind and to the sides of it.
    Like a hidden castle :)

I like the sand.
    Rainbow gravel has it's place in a small fun tank (imnsho ;D)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice