Change Filter In Bamboo Shrimp Trank?

Discussion in 'Bamboo Shrimp' started by devan221, Jan 2, 2018.

1. devan221

devan221Valued MemberMember

So.....Spike the bamboo Shrimp has had issues lately but he is doing great right now. I was so focussed on him eating and an ammonia issue in another tank that I forgot to change the filter cartridges and nearly killed my albino Cori catfishes! I was going to change all my filter cartridges, but then I stopped. Does Spike need his to be a bit dirtier than normal? Note.....it's nasty.

Thanks!

2. romanianfishman

romanianfishmanNew MemberMember

I would change the water filter. Unless you have live plants to absorb some of the ammonia I would change filter to recommended standards.

I see shrimp in Chinnse markets and they have clean water. I think regardless they should have clean water but the ability to forage.

3. OP
    OP
    devan221

I certainly have live plants, but have no desire to risk excess ammonia. I've already changed the filter but haven't thrown away the old one yet just in case!

4. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_Well Known MemberMember

It's not reccomended to change the filter cartridges unless they're completely falling apart. Since the beneficial bacteria that causes the nitrogen cycle lives in the filter media, if you swap out the cartridges you restart your cycle which puts your fish at risk.
    As for cleaning them, simply rinse them out in declorinated water every once in a while.
    Your water shouldn't look dirty if you have a filter running. How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?

5. OP
    OP
    devan221

That is why I didn't throw the old one away! Old one back in right now.

Ordinarily, I'd tell you that I do an absolute minimum of 30-40% WC ever 2 weeks. Really, that's only if life kicks me in the pants. Generally, I do 25% weekly.

Today is not ordinary for any of my 3 tanks. The tank Spike is in was hit by the shrimp plague a while back. That's why he took a vacation to a tank too small for a bamboo shrimp for a while. It's better than death. Anyway, he's back in his old tank. Prior to the plague, he was about to move to a 20 long. But I hadn't bought it yet and couldnt get it set up in time to move him into that tank. His current tank is 10 gallons with an HOB filter and a tiny filter at the other end for water flow.

I thought you had to change the charcoal in the filter bags. True?

As soon as I changed to the new filter, he moved from water flow and fanning to eating deer weed on sponge over water intake.

6. OP
    OP
    devan221

And it isn't the tank water that is dirty. It's the filter media bag.