Change all your smoke detector batteries at once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A week or so ago I had a smoke detector battery die, it clued me into this with the irritating beep it would emit every 30 seconds or so. Being constantly assaulted by my daughter for attention led me to just change the one battery instead of going throughout the house and changing all of them like I knew I should.

Soooooooo, at 1:45 AM last night the one in my bedroom decides to tell me its battery time for it as well. Of course this detector is about 13' up on the wall so, after getting dressed, off I went into the 20F night to retrieve my ladder, set it up, woozily climb to the top (not good!) pull said detector off the wall and render it inoperable, all without waking my daughter.

So, in conclusion, save yourself and change all the batteries at once.

OP
Matt B

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Awww, You're lucky! I used to sleep like that but starting the night we brought home our first child it seems a pin drop will wake me.

I forgot to mention, to all of you who have newer houses with the smoke detectors wired in and don't need to change batteries, I am extremely jealous.

tunastrack

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow shewwww Matt you scared me for a second!! Just be greatful it was just a dead battery and not true smoke detection and a dead battery!! Bless your heart!

OP
Matt B

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow shewwww Matt you scared me for a second!! Just be greatful it was just a dead battery and not true smoke detection and a dead battery!! Bless your heart!
Sorry! I put it in the funny stuff hoping people wouldn't think my house burned down!

That's why I change the batteries! Here's to hoping it's never the actual alarm.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My brother just had a house fire. The alarm got him out of the house alive.

Change those batteries. Use Christmas, New Years, or clock change day. Pick a day you'll remember and change all batteries together. It will save your life.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I forgot to mention, to all of you who have newer houses with the smoke detectors wired in and don't need to change batteries, I am extremely jealous.
We have those wired in kinds and I just had a disagreement with someone over this. This person told me that I should change all 12 of my detectors ( yes, I have 12! ) in my house REGARDLESS! I told her that mine were hardwired in and the battery was ONLY THERE in case the power goes out ( we have only had 3 power outages since I have lived here in almost 3 years ) so I am to assume that I can go at least 2 full years, if not longer without a battery change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom