Chances of owning cherries?

1. eltoro Member Member

I've been looking for some cool bottom dwelling, semi algae eating fish/shrimp for a while and my experiment with pitbull plecos did not fair so well. I was wondering if I could potentially have cherry shrimp. The one red flag is my dorsigera and it seems that keeping small shrimp with dwarf cichlids is not the way to go.

However I feel that my dorsigera who is around 2'' is not as aggressive as most cichlids. He/she lives with neons that are barely half an inch with no problems (except at first when he/she went after them). Is having cherries with dwarf cichlids plausible or should I just go with amanos?

2. Landozer18 Well Known Member Member

I think it would work but I have almost no knowledge with the dorsigera.

3. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

I can't give you a definative yes or no answer.

With enough hiding places and plants, you could keep a few adult cherries but and babies will just be live food for your fish. The personality or aggresion of the dorsigera won't matter, a cichlid will not turn down live food.

The prices of red cherries is low enough you could give it a try, but not the best enviroment for shrimps that size.

It could be risky....Personally I would say don't do it (I keep shrimp only tanks), I like shrimp too much...but....