Chameleon in same enclosure as archer fish.

1. bwreynolds Member Member

I'm wanting a half water half land enclosure for my Archer fish... I want a land animal in it as well and was thinking chameleon. This would be awesome so I could see my Archer and chameleon hunting. It would be a crickets worst nightmare. Is it possible? If not what land animal would work?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank? Archer fish get very large and need a very large tank. I don't see how'd you combine that with land easily.

3. AtomicMudkip Member Member

Also, what if the chameleon fell in? Can they swim or get out?
    ~Mudkipz

4. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Just so long as there is something for him to grab, they can swim out. Interesting idea, if you get it set up, you'll have to post the finished product. It's really a neat idea.:)

5. bwreynolds Member Member

He's in a 60 gallon now but I'm going to build this custom and wanted it to hold around 100 gallons and it start at the floor to the roof... it's going to be awesome if the chameleon can cohabitate

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What are the dimensions? Even 100 gal may not be large enough - they get to be 16" long.

7. bwreynolds Member Member

It will be custom. I build custom tanks. I will figure all that stuff out once I know this is OK and will work. I can build it whatever size it needs to be. What would you suggest

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

72" x 24" x 24" minimum, though longer would be better.

I'd worry about the chameleon getting lost in an environment that big, or drowning as the water area would be large.

I'd put the chameleon in a smaller setup, maybe with some nano fish? You could easily do something long like a 55 gal, and keep half for the chameleon and half for fish.

And keep the archer fish in a large, fish tank only. It would be cool to have branches come out of the water that you can put insects on, for him to spit them into the water :)

9. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

I can't imagine a chameleon being happy being spat at all day. Also chameleons are extremely slow feeders, and a group of Archerfish would finish off the crickets before it had much chance to get one.

10. jpm995 Well Known Member Member

I had a cham over a 130 gal pond in my living room and he did well. The pond was 6' long and 14" deep, he never fell in but he may have eaten some guppies. I ran vines above the pond with hanging plants. The cham was always staring at the waterfall and would shoot his tongue at the wet moss growing on the waterfall, he would eat big chunks. I had an archer in the pond also.

11. bwreynolds Member Member

So in your experience it went well? What kind of chameleon did you have? Do you have any pics?

12. jpm995 Well Known Member Member

I'll try to post tomorrow, pics are on my old pc. Went well until storm Sandy wiped out all my tanks, still haven't recovered. Veiled cham, survived but died while my sister was caring for him [took me 8 months to rebuild home]. To me the key is having a really large area and water feature to avoid crowding.

13. jpm995 Well Known Member Member

Here's a pic of pond. If you spot the cham let me know, he used to hang out in the canopy above the pond. IMG_1178.JPG

14. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

15. freshwaterfanatic Initiate Member

I agree that this would be an awesome idea! I think you should look at some of the non-predatory/aggressive semi aquatic turtles, or frogs/toads out there, not to educated on reptiles so your on your own there:). I also agree that this may be easier to find compatible fish/land animals if you try a fish less....savvy you could say, as the intelligent, personality filled mind of the archer fish:) ....gosh archers are awesome though

Again, not AT ALL educated in this field, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...lol

16. Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

I honestly don't think there is such a thing as a non predatory turtle. Tortoises are herbivores, but all the turtles I've ever seen and heard of are omnivorous, and wouldn't hesitate to eat a fish that got to close.

Personally, I don't see an issue with this idea, as chameleons come from the rainforest, living in the canopy. I'm sure plenty of wild chameleons live in trees above a pond or river, or some other body of water. Though you'd need to dedicate like, an entire room to make it work, as you'll possibly be subjecting your pond portion to the bioload of the chameleon poop, random plant debris, dead bugs, ect, as well as the fish bioload. Also, if it does fall in the water, chameleons can puff up like a bouy. It doesn't enjoy it, but it can swim.

Edit: I'd also recommend asking a herp or chameleon forum, as youre likely to get better answers about the chameleon from there. A Chinese water dragon or iguana might work better, as they enjoy swimming, but then you run the risk of it eating fish.

17. freshwaterfanatic Initiate Member

I think that it depends on the type of fish you have, I vaguely remember my friend once kept a red eared slider with some sort of bigger schooling fish... might have just gotten lucky with a docile turt... It was very cool. Anyways I kinda got carried away with my own ideas after you mentioned a land/water animal mix, don't know much about chameleons, but if you try to pull this off, definitely share with us!

18. bwreynolds Member Member

I'm really excited about this entire project... my wife said I can't do it until we get a bigger house but I just want to know if it'll be OK before I build the house because I want to have plumbing installed where the tank goes

19. jpm995 Well Known Member Member

It's a big undertaking, but you seem to have the skills to get it done. Planning is great but you can't think of everything. Revisions and changes will keep making it better. You may never really be done.