Cesar Millan

motherofbettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Inspired by the Pitbull thread that's going on right now, what do you guys think of Cesar Millan and his techniques that he uses with dogs he helps?

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As with almost all trainers, I agree with some of his methods, and disagree with others.
I agree with most of what he teaches, but how he handled the aggressive dog with the pig, I don't think was at all appropriate.

motherofbettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I hadn't heard about the pig incident, but after reading up on it I too disagree.
Reading his book and watching his show though has given me really good tips for dealing with a German Shepherd mix I used to care for in HS and now recently my MIL's pitbull which gets overexcited and feeds off my MIL's nervous energy. We are still working on her acting calm and assertive... But there has been a little bit of progress

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think that if you understand that not every rule can be universally applied to every situation, he puts forward a great philosophy/mentality. I can say that I have successfully (IMO) employed a number of his philosophies and approaches, with excellent results. Bear in mind I haven't seen anything of his that's more recent than about 5 years old.
I particularly support his thoughts/philosophies around body language and 'energy'. We tell our canine pets way more with our bodies than most folks realize. If you can reconcile what you're saying with your body with the words you use, you're headed in the right direction.
Similarly, our fur friends tell us so much with their bodies (posture, engagement, etc.) that most folks don't see, or misinterpret entirely. Subtle dog body language cues are so often missed by the dog owning masses.
I particularly recall many of his lessons around fearful dogs. My retired parents recently adopted a rescue from Taiwan of all places. You would have a hard time telling him apart from a dingo. A lot of things about Tucker were badly misrepresented by the adoption folks. My folks ended up getting him sight unseen (a few vids had been shared), and were instructed to pick him up literally right off an intercontinental flight. He was a quivering fearful and untrusting wreck for the better part of 4 months (we're at about 6.5 months now). Old folks (sorry mum and dad) don't want or need that. So I've taken on a lot of dog walking and training (we have an active dog too, so the walking is no big thing). With a lot of confidence, leadership, and engaged training (and guidance from my own 'balanced' pooch), he's in a much better place now. But still not perfect. The calm approach, firm leadership and correct use of leash pressure (encouragement vs. dragging) have all been key, and all those came from watching Cesar. Also, redirection during times of stress (oh, you're fearful of that loud noise? okay let's work on your sit stay, or practice heeling, or work on trimming your nails).
So :emoji_thumbsup: for me.
Fun parenting fact: "exercise, disciple and affection" works for kids and dogs!!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lilabug4545 said:
As with almost all trainers, I agree with some of his methods, and disagree with others.
I agree with most of what he teaches, but how he handled the aggressive dog with the pig, I don't think was at all appropriate.
Well, the dog just wanted bacon :hilarious:
I liked his methods in some of the episodes, I even tried some on my dog, it worked for some cases.

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fanatic said:
Well, the dog just wanted bacon :hilarious:
I liked his methods in some of the episodes, I even tried some on my dog, it worked for some cases.
I train dogs, and I have used some of these techniques, and they do work. Tbh I can't blame the dog if he just wanted bacon...

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lilabug4545 said:
I train dogs, and I have used some of these techniques, and they do work. Tbh I can't blame the dog if he just wanted bacon...
I was joking, don't mind me.
That's neat!

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fanatic said:
I was joking, don't mind me.
That's neat!
I was, too!
I work with rescues and train the 'undesirables' (the seniors, three-legged, etc.) to make them more 'desireable'. We've found that if a dog can come fully trained (sit, down, reliable stay, and a few tricks like up and rear), then they're up to 75% more likely to be adopted! If you can, see if you can help out a rescue this way, it makes a huge difference!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lilabug4545 said:
I was, too!
I work with rescues and train the 'undesirables' (the seniors, three-legged, etc.) to make them more 'desireable'. We've found that if a dog can come fully trained (sit, down, reliable stay, and a few tricks like up and rear), then they're up to 75% more likely to be adopted! If you can, see if you can help out a rescue this way, it makes a huge difference!
That makes me wish my dog was trained.
He only knows how to eat, sleep, play, and attack all mailmen in sight.

He ate a tail of his rubber chew toy, and a bird carcass, really?

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fanatic said:
He ate a tail of his rubber chew toy, and a bird carcass, really?
My dog almost swallowed the ear off of his toy, then when we fixed it, decided that it's now the most boring toy ever without that ear.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think like all reality tv shows it needs to be taken with a huge mountain (not a grain) of salt.

Deep down anyone who watches reality tv knows its not real but if you dont the forbidden city is up for grabs if anyone wants to make a tender and the white house is going to start renting out rooms.

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@smee82 that's a pretty broad paint brush you're using there. I count 4 posts above that indicate at least some support or knowledge gained from watching. And all of them are qualified/contain caveats. And yes, there are posts that describe disagreement with his methods, but they're also qualified.
But the way you say it, it's like we've been misled, or bought into a bunch of ****. Speaking for myself, you make it seem like my personal choice to watch, learn, and use certain methods was the wrong decision.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bitseriously said:
@smee82 that's a pretty broad paint brush you're using there. I count 4 posts above that indicate at least some support or knowledge gained from watching. And all of them are qualified/contain caveats. And yes, there are posts that describe disagreement with his methods, but they're also qualified.
But the way you say it, it's like we've been misled, or bought into a bunch of ****. Speaking for myself, you make it seem like my personal choice to watch, learn, and use certain methods was the wrong decision.
Reality tv isnt reality.

My grandparents lived down the road from steve irwins australia zoo and i went there when he had oscar(one of the originsl crocs) but i remember a gew yrs before he died visiting my grandpa and there was a hrsp of cars pulled up on the side of the road. Turns out someone has hit a roo and it had a joey.the roo was dead so they called the australian zoo and reported an injured zoey.

While i was there channel 9 (one of the local news crews) pulled up saw that he wasnt there(irwincalled them earlier) amd called him back and was told to drive around the block a couple of time and he would call them before he got there.

I also remember driving past a news crew taking pics of the yearly floods where they where kneeling down to make the flood waters look deeper then they really where when theyvtook pics.

As far as ceasar milan or the kardasians go your free to believe what you watch on tv or what some random stranger on the internet (me) tell you to think or believe.

And if you really want theres a heap of sites about troubles or problems they claim he caused. Now in no way am i saying peopke who said he is full if it are right all im saying is i dont believe any of them. The same as if i get info here ill still check a bunch of other sources.

motherofbettas

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
smee82 said:
Reality tv isnt reality.

My grandparents lived down the road from steve irwins australia zoo and i went there when he had oscar(one of the originsl crocs) but i remember a gew yrs before he died visiting my grandpa and there was a hrsp of cars pulled up on the side of the road. Turns out someone has hit a roo and it had a joey.the roo was dead so they called the australian zoo and reported an injured zoey.

While i was there channel 9 (one of the local news crews) pulled up saw that he wasnt there(irwincalled them earlier) amd called him back and was told to drive around the block a couple of time and he would call them before he got there.

I also remember driving past a news crew taking pics of the yearly floods where they where kneeling down to make the flood waters look deeper then they really where when theyvtook pics.

As far as ceasar milan or the kardasians go your free to believe what you watch on tv or what some random stranger on the internet (me) tell you to think or believe.

And if you really want theres a heap of sites about troubles or problems they claim he caused. Now in no way am i saying peopke who said he is full if it are right all im saying is i dont believe any of them. The same as if i get info here ill still check a bunch of other sources.
But if I can point a difference...people don't learning any thing from the Kardashians {except maybe how to do their makeup} whereas people can argue that Cesar Millan is more of an educational show. I'm not saying NONE of it is staged, but they do a good job of giving others helpful tools to live with their 4 legged friends. People watch Dr. Phil and E! and TLC for enjoyment and entertainment but I can say that I have learned quite a bit through implementing Cesar's training techniques he uses on his show. I've yet to learn anything from Kim Kardashian.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom