Central American Cichlid Stocking 125G?

Hemikyle

Hello! So I have recently been talking about removing some Convicts, Parrots, Frontosa and a Duboisi Tropheus from my other 125G Cichlid tank which will be only Lake Malawi Cichlids. Now I have some questions and concerns.

First question is can the Frontosa & Duboisi Tropheus live in Harmony with Parrots and Convicts in a 125G?

Second question is can they live in a tank with drift wood, black sand and live plants? My PH is Roughly around 7.2 - 7.4 PH. I know it's not a high PH like my cichlid tank which is closer to 8 PH.

Third Question which will be a pretty important question is. I currently have tetras and a bunch of other various species in the tank which I know I'll have to rehome due to introducing parrots and convicts being Cichlids. Can any of the below species live with the Convicts, Parrots, Frontosa and Duboisi Tropheus Cichlid?
List Of Species
9 Diamond Tetras
15 Harlequin Rasboras
3 Roseline Sharks
2 Bolivian Rams
3 BN Pleco
1 Dragon Goby
1 Yo Yo loach
2 Corydora Catfish Albino
7 Kuhli Loaches

In the end I know I will want more big fish in this tank other than the tetras. I just want to know what would work and what won't so I can keep all my fish happy and healthy and not dead and stressed. Any thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Azedenkae

First question is can the Frontosa & Duboisi Tropheus live in Harmony with Parrots and Convicts in a 125G?
Yes. It's been known for a long time now that despite where the various cichlids come from, most actually are perfectly fine in quite a range of water parameters. Most though, not all. All the ones you mention though have significant overlapping water parameters they can live in.

The main issue is differences in temperaments and size suitability. Luckily, a 125 gallon is large enough to handle any of the species you mentioned. The more individuals you have though, the better. Generally with such different temperaments, it does tend to work out better with a diversity, so aggression spreads out enough regardless.
Second question is can they live in a tank with drift wood, black sand and live plants? My PH is Roughly around 7.2 - 7.4 PH. I know it's not a high PH like my cichlid tank which is closer to 8 PH.
Yes. The African cichlids indeed can live in that pH. And so can the americans.
Third Question which will be a pretty important question is. I currently have tetras and a bunch of other various species in the tank which I know I'll have to rehome due to introducing parrots and convicts being Cichlids. Can any of the below species live with the Convicts, Parrots, Frontosa and Duboisi Tropheus Cichlid?
List Of Species
9 Diamond Tetras
15 Harlequin Rasboras
3 Roseline Sharks
2 Bolivian Rams
3 BN Pleco
1 Dragon Goby
1 Yo Yo loach
2 Corydora Catfish Albino
7 Kuhli Loaches
I had convicts and parrots eat many of the smaller fish, and recently saw a parrot (yes, parrot) ate a rainbow shark. Kinda feel like not many of the above may necessarily survive unless they get big or have a lot of hiding spots. But tbh I have not really mixed cichlids with many other fish so am not one to say with certainty one way or the other.
In the end I know I will want more big fish in this tank other than the tetras. I just want to know what would work and what won't so I can keep all my fish happy and healthy and not dead and stressed. Any thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
If you want more big fish, why not get a few individuals of various other species of cichlids? Would make a good mix and be easier for them to well, not eat each other. Or kill each other, for that matter.

How many individuals of each species do you have btw?

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

Yes. It's been known for a long time now that despite where the various cichlids come from, most actually are perfectly fine in quite a range of water parameters. Most though, not all. All the ones you mention though have significant overlapping water parameters they can live in.

The main issue is differences in temperaments and size suitability. Luckily, a 125 gallon is large enough to handle any of the species you mentioned. The more individuals you have though, the better. Generally with such different temperaments, it does tend to work out better with a diversity, so aggression spreads out enough regardless.

Yes. The African cichlids indeed can live in that pH. And so can the americans.

I had convicts and parrots eat many of the smaller fish, and recently saw a parrot (yes, parrot) ate a rainbow shark. Kinda feel like not many of the above may necessarily survive unless they get big or have a lot of hiding spots. But tbh I have not really mixed cichlids with many other fish so am not one to say with certainty one way or the other.

If you want more big fish, why not get a few individuals of various other species of cichlids? Would make a good mix and be easier for them to well, not eat each other. Or kill each other, for that matter.

How many individuals of each species do you have btw?
I was thinking about getting more central american cichlids for that tank and maybe rehoming the tetras especially since there size they might be eaten.

I currently have
2 snow white parrots
1 blue polar parrot
3 convicts
1 blood parrot
And 3 frontosa

Do you think I should rehome any of the current fish already in there? Or all of them? Like I said I'd rather keep my parrot and frontosa I absolutely adore them.

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

I was thinking about getting more central american cichlids for that tank and maybe rehoming the tetras especially since there size they might be eaten.

I currently have
2 snow white parrots
1 blue polar parrot
3 convicts
1 blood parrot
And 3 frontosa

Do you think I should rehome any of the current fish already in there? Or all of them? Like I said I'd rather keep my parrot and frontosa I absolutely adore them.
Nah seems fine. The frontosas get big, but well, the others are pretty small. Nothing significant I would say needs to be changed there.

So 10 cichlids in total. That's pretty good. Honestly yeah, I would not mind keeping them all in, and if it seems like there's a bit more extra space, add a few more cichlids.

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

Nah seems fine. The frontosas get big, but well, the others are pretty small. Nothing significant I would say needs to be changed there.

So 10 cichlids in total. That's pretty good. Honestly yeah, I would not mind keeping them all in, and if it seems like there's a bit more extra space, add a few more cichlids.
Awesome I'm super happy to hear that they can all move to my planted community tank :) the Peacocks, Haps and Mbunas and them all seemed to be a bit much all in one tank. In other words way to much aggression.

You don't think the tank would be over crowded at all by having them all in that tank or would it be just right? Everyone is pretty much fully grown except the blood parrot probably. The frontosa and the blood parrot will definitely be the biggest in that tank

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

They are going into a 125 gallon tank right? In that case yeah nah, it won't be too much. Not in my opinion, anyways.

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

They are going into a 125 gallon tank right? In that case yeah nah, it won't be too much. Not in my opinion, anyways.
Gotcha alright sounds good !

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

I have convicts- do NOT add to any peaceful fish. No corys, no rasboras, no tetras, no rams. I also do not recommend any plants other than amazon sword and anubias. They can destroy anything else by digging it up or picking at it. They can and will pick on everything in the tank that cannot pick back. That said- most people do not recommend combining SA and African fish together. They need different parameters especially Ph. Convicts are fine with Ph of 7.2-7.4 and love sand. The only thing on your list that I know is OK with them and the parrots is the BN pleco. I know there are many more cichlid people that will chime in MacZ for example.

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

I have convicts- do NOT add to any peaceful fish. No corys, no rasboras, no tetras, no rams. I also do not recommend any plants other than amazon sword and anubias. They can destroy anything else by digging it up or picking at it. They can and will pick on everything in the tank that cannot pick back. That said- most people do not recommend combining SA and African fish together. They need different parameters especially Ph. Convicts are fine with Ph of 7.2-7.4 and love sand. The only thing on your list that I know is OK with them and the parrots is the BN pleco. I know there are many more cichlid people that will chime in MacZ for example.
Not even the frontosas? And if I disregarded convicts would the rest be okay with everything?

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

Not even the frontosas? And if I disregarded convicts would the rest be okay with everything?
Frontosa are from Lake Tanganyika and should have a Ph of 8-9. You have a tank full of peaceful community fish- adding any cichlid is basically asking for trouble IMO.

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

Frontosa are from Lake Tanganyika and should have a Ph of 8-9. You have a tank full of peaceful community fish- adding any cichlid is basically asking for trouble IMO.
Would it be a better idea to rehome all the tetras, rasboras and the rams? What about the bottom feeders the goby, corydora, loaches? Or rehome everyone except the BN pleco?

I'd like to really keep my parrots and frontosa unless thats not going to be possible and maybe I should just stick with my parrots, convicts, tropheus and maybe work on sticking with central american cichlids because they might be better with the lower ph?

Or should I think about adding rocks to increase the pH to to be able to keep the Frontosa?

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Oh gosh, in the other thread I totally misunderstood. I thought the tank you were talking about only had tetras that you were planning to rehome, and all the other community fish were only potential ideas. Had no idea you already have them in the tank. Yeah nah, disregard my recommendation from the other thread then, that was under the impression the tank was gonna be just all cichlids.

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

Oh gosh, in the other thread I totally misunderstood. I thought the tank you were talking about only had tetras that you were planning to rehome, and all the other community fish were only potential ideas. Had no idea you already have them in the tank. Yeah nah, disregard my recommendation from the other thread then, that was under the impression the tank was gonna be just all cichlids.
So ideally I should just rehome everyone except the BN pleco like they said I'm assuming? Or would anybody else be okay with them? Like maybe the rams?

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

So ideally I should just rehome everyone except the BN pleco like they said I'm assuming? Or would anybody else be okay with them? Like maybe the rams?
So like I said, I am not entirely sure which among the list may work, but honestly even the plecos may be in danger of being eaten if they are not large enough.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Hemikyle: How many threads are there now? I feel like I don't know half the story after helping you sort out the cichlid tank.

Anyways, the others are right, all those fish with the cichlids will be bloodshed. Your frontosa may be docile, but they are fish eaters. Whatever fits in their mouths is food and they grow (albeit slowly) to 30-40cm (about a foot in imperial). They need really big tanks and are best kept in a species tank with a group of 6-8.
The Tropheus will likely also wreak havoc.
And that's just the social aspect.
When I said at least these two need rehoming, I meant it.

You told me you were having an empty tank for the central americans. Also it's misleading saying central americans and mentioning the two tanganyikans.

I feel like you have kinda gone behind my back. It's one thing to ask for other opinions, it's another to tell me you will do one thing and then try to weasel out of it while I can see it. Do you think people won't notice you opening several threads?

I'm out. Sorry. Good luck.

Thanks for the tag, awilkinson871

Upvote 0

Coradee

Threads have been merged. Please only create one thread per topic, it gets very confusing having multiple threads & you may not get the best responses as information may be missed.

Upvote 0

Hemikyle

Hemikyle: How many threads are there now? I feel like I don't know half the story after helping you sort out the cichlid tank.

Anyways, the others are right, all those fish with the cichlids will be bloodshed. Your frontosa may be docile, but they are fish eaters. Whatever fits in their mouths is food and they grow (albeit slowly) to 30-40cm (about a foot in imperial). They need really big tanks and are best kept in a species tank with a group of 6-8.
The Tropheus will likely also wreak havoc.
And that's just the social aspect.
When I said at least these two need rehoming, I meant it.

You told me you were having an empty tank for the central americans. Also it's misleading saying central americans and mentioning the two tanganyikans.

I feel like you have kinda gone behind my back. It's one thing to ask for other opinions, it's another to tell me you will do one thing and then try to weasel out of it while I can see it. Do you think people won't notice you opening several threads?

I'm out. Sorry. Good luck.

Thanks for the tag, awilkinson871
I do apologize for the misleading information on saying CA Cichlids and saying Frontosa and Tropheus on the list being in another region. I was asking that as one of my questions if at least those were compatible with CA Cichlids. If not then I would re-home them like you mentioned.

I posted my thread in another section because i feel like sometimes not everyone is looking or getting to look at my post and then I'm afraid either I will not receive any answers to what I am asking about or I will get one one opinion vs have a bunch of people agreeing to one answer. It's just a reassurance.

I said I might have a tank open soon. Meaning if I need to re-home the tetras I could to keep possibly my parrots, convicts and frontosa. But the females would be removed. I never said I had a tank empty. But if it meant rehoming them then yes it would be. I don't see how that could be misleading just didn't tell you everything that was going through my head because I was thinking so far in advance.

Again I do apologize for making you feel that way. I don't mean to get on anyone's bad side. I just wanted to see all my options before re homing my Frontosa and Tropheus.
Threads have been merged. Please only create one thread per topic, it gets very confusing having multiple threads & you may not get the best responses as information may be missed.
Understood.

Upvote 0

MacZ

Ok, apology accepted, I was a little perplexed.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hemikyle
  • Question
Replies
Views
Hemikyle
Replies
Views
Hemikyle