Centerpiece Suggestions For 50g? 50 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Stryphe89, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Stryphe89New MemberMember

My husband and I have been slowly setting up a 50g (tall) peaceful community tank. All we have in there now is some anubias nana, 5 Julii Cories, a female red BN Pleco, and 6 Nerite Snails, and some Malaysian driftwood (for Red). We will be adding some more mid and background plants, and some more driftwood to finish off the aquascaping. I'm looking at adding a couple schooling fish (rummies and/or cardinals). I'm mainly looking for centerpiece suggestions, but am interested in any suggestions you guys may have for our tank. =]

2. Greg FWell Known MemberMember

Sounds like the perfect tank for a big Angel and a school of Cardinals , Cherry barbs , or Odessa barbs...

3. Stryphe89New MemberMember

Thanks for the reply! I've heard mixed opinions about keeping Angels with tetra. You dont think they would be a bit nippy to the angel's lovely fins?

4. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

I think if you have the right amount of schooling it should be fine. I have lemon tetras with my angel and they don't bother it. However as the angel gets bigger it might start picking on the others. It's a roll of a dice type of deal.

5. Stryphe89New MemberMember

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. As far as it being a roll of the dice, however, I'd prefer not to take a chance with my fishies. Any suggestions for something more community safe?

6. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Most community fish like tetras will be fine as long as you keep a good amount.

7. Greg FWell Known MemberMember

Most barbs and tetras are far less nippy if kept in good numbers ( at least 6 but 10 is better). I have never had real issues except with tiger barbs and serpae tetras.

Cardinals , black neons , and cherry barbs are super safe. Harlequin rasboras as well.

8. pugletfanWell Known MemberMember

9. Stryphe89New MemberMember

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Been looking into Angelfish since you guys suggested them.

Pearl Gouramis were one that I was already considering! Glad to hear you think they could work well in my tank.

10. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

This is our 44. 2 gold rams, 1 large angel, sword tail and others.
    _MG_7934-Edit.0.jpg

11. phantomValued MemberMember

add some guppys!

12. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

I am not sure guppies would be safe with a full grown angel.

13. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Gorgeous tank!!!

14. Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Thank you :)

15. Stryphe89New MemberMember

What a gorgeous tank, Thunder!

I had thought about guppies as well. I'm not set on an angel, or anything else. I have even considered something like a group or guppies, or platies/swordtails or even a school of congo tetras in place of a centerpiece fish. I'm completely undecided, so I'm open to any and all suggestions!

16. Abby565Valued MemberMember

If you get cardinals, pearls, rummynose, or an angel, keep in mind that you would need to return the julii cories because they like cooler temps. So does the BN. You would have to chose to have a cooler temp tank in the low 70s, or a warmer tank 78+.

17. Stryphe89New MemberMember

I could be wrong, but from my understanding they all have fairly similar temperature ranges. Julii Cories (77F-82F)
    Angel, Cardinals (75F-86F)
    Rummies (73F-78F)
    Pearl (75F-82F)

We've had our Julii's and BN Pleco at 75F-76F for about 6 months now, though, and they have been very healthy/active.

18. Abby565Valued MemberMember

Julli actually prefer low 70s and BN like no higher then 77 or so. Rummies, cardinals, angels, and pearls like no lower then 77.

19. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

BN can handle higher temps just fine. :)

Maybe look into moonlight gouramis, or snakeskin gouramis. A small shoal of honey gourami? Maybe a pair of rams - like bolivians - or apistos....

A kilifish pair? Peacock gudgeon maybe?

20. Stryphe89New MemberMember

I love sooo many of those suggestions. I was concerned about rams and apistos because they are bottom dwellers. Kribs were another one I was looking at, but was concerned for the same reason. I dont want anything to mess with my cories! Anyone have experience mixing any of those fish with cories?

Killifish and peacock Gudgeons are great ideas! Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice