Centerpiece Suggestions For 50g?

Stryphe89

Member
My husband and I have been slowly setting up a 50 gallon (tall) peaceful community tank. All we have in there now is some anubias nana, 5 JuliI Cories, a female red BN Pleco, and 6 Nerite Snails, and some Malaysian driftwood (for Red). We will be adding some more mid and background plants, and some more driftwood to finish off the aquascaping. I'm looking at adding a couple schooling fish (rummies and/or cardinals). I'm mainly looking for centerpiece suggestions, but am interested in any suggestions you guys may have for our tank. =]
 

Greg F

Member
  • Thread Starter

Stryphe89

Member
Thanks for the reply! I've heard mixed opinions about keeping Angels with tetra. You don't think they would be a bit nippy to the angel's lovely fins?
 

Fashooga

Member
I think if you have the right amount of schooling it should be fine. I have lemon tetras with my angel and they don't bother it. However as the angel gets bigger it might start picking on the others. It's a roll of a dice type of deal.
 
  • Thread Starter

Stryphe89

Member
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. As far as it being a roll of the dice, however, I'd prefer not to take a chance with my fishies. Any suggestions for something more community safe?
 

Fashooga

Member
Most community fish like tetras will be fine as long as you keep a good amount.
 

pugletfan

Member
  • Thread Starter

Stryphe89

Member
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Been looking into Angelfish since you guys suggested them.

pugletfan said:
I think you could add a pair of pearl gourami.
Pearl Gouramis were one that I was already considering! Glad to hear you think they could work well in my tank.
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
This is our 44. 2 gold rams, 1 large angel, sword tail and others.
 

phantom

Member
add some guppys!
 

Thunder_o_b

Member

Thunder_o_b

Member
  • Thread Starter

Stryphe89

Member
What a gorgeous tank, Thunder!

phantom said:
add some guppys!
I had thought about guppies as well. I'm not set on an angel, or anything else. I have even considered something like a group or guppies, or platies/swordtails or even a school of congo tetras in place of a centerpiece fish. I'm completely undecided, so I'm open to any and all suggestions!
 

Abby565

Member
If you get cardinals, pearls, rummynose, or an angel, keep in mind that you would need to return the juliI cories because they like cooler temps. So does the BN. You would have to chose to have a cooler temp tank in the low 70s, or a warmer tank 78+.
 
  • Thread Starter

Stryphe89

Member
Abby565 said:
If you get cardinals, pearls, rummynose, or an angel, keep in mind that you would need to return the juliI cories because they like cooler temps. So does the BN. You would have to chose to have a cooler temp tank in the low 70s, or a warmer tank 78+.
I could be wrong, but from my understanding they all have fairly similar temperature ranges. JuliI Cories (77F-82F)
Angel, Cardinals (75F-86F)
Rummies (73F-78F)
Pearl (75F-82F)

We've had our Julii's and BN Pleco at 75F-76F for about 6 months now, though, and they have been very healthy/active.
 

Abby565

Member
JullI actually prefer low 70s and BN like no higher then 77 or so. Rummies, cardinals, angels, and pearls like no lower then 77.
 

aussieJJDude

Member
BN can handle higher temps just fine.

Maybe look into moonlight gouramis, or snakeskin gouramis. A small shoal of honey gourami? Maybe a pair of rams - like bolivians - or apistos....

A kilifish pair? Peacock gudgeon maybe?
 
  • Thread Starter

Stryphe89

Member
aussieJJDude said:
BN can handle higher temps just fine.

Maybe look into moonlight gouramis, or snakeskin gouramis. A small shoal of honey gourami? Maybe a pair of rams - like bolivians - or apistos....

A kilifish pair? Peacock gudgeon maybe?
I love so many of those suggestions. I was concerned about rams and apistos because they are bottom dwellers. Kribs were another one I was looking at, but was concerned for the same reason. I don't want anything to mess with my cories! Anyone have experience mixing any of those fish with cories?

Killifish and peacock Gudgeons are great ideas! Thank you!
 

diddakoi

Member
Can you upload a picture? This set up sounds stunning!!
 

aussieJJDude

Member
Apistos and rams are fine with cories - many including myself have had success in that pairing. As long as there's space so they can grt away from eachother, its fine.
 
  • Thread Starter

Stryphe89

Member
diddakoi said:
Can you upload a picture? This set up sounds stunning!!
It's really in the early stages right now. Threre's not much to it at the moment. I'll get some photos up once we're a little further along.

aussieJJDude said:
Apistos and rams are fine with cories - many including myself have had success in that pairing. As long as there's space so they can grt away from eachother, its fine.
Yay! That's exciting! Looks like I have some choices to make...
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
Stryphe89 said:
I love so many of those suggestions. I was concerned about rams and apistos because they are bottom dwellers. Kribs were another one I was looking at, but was concerned for the same reason. I don't want anything to mess with my cories! Anyone have experience mixing any of those fish with cories?

Killifish and peacock Gudgeons are great ideas! Thank you!
All the ones listed are fine with corys (do not know about apistos) But if you get Kribs get only one. I had two that I rescued from a pet store years ago. They paired off. In one night they killed 8 albino corys and maimed the two survivors so badly they only lived another week. I re-homed the kribs and will never have them again

1.


2.
 
  • Thread Starter

Stryphe89

Member
Thunder_o_b said:
All the ones listed are fine with corys (do not know about apistos) But if you get Kribs get only one. I had two that I rescued from a pet store years ago. They paired off. In one night they killed 8 albino corys and maimed the two survivors so badly they only lived another week. I re-homed the kribs and will never have them again

1.


2.

Wow... thanks for the warning! Yeah, kribs were another fish that I had heard differing opinions on. They are such nice looking fish, too!
 

Thunder_o_b

Member
Stryphe89 said:
What a gorgeous tank, Thunder!
Thank you very much
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view



Top Bottom