29 Gallon Tank Centerpiece plant

Amcdonald58

Hey guys, I need help with picking a centerpiece planted tank I want a plant that is medium light and will do well in BDBS substrate. I do have DIY root tabs that I use, I also dose with easy green. I want something that has skinny leaves and will grow to the height of my tank. I have tried corkscrew val, this did not do well. I also tried an amazon sword and my bristle nose pleco has eaten a heavy portion of it. I would like a plant that I can get from aquarium co-op if possible, I am open to other option as well. Thank you for any help.

AcuarioAmazonico

always safe with good old java fern. Maybe crested variety?

AcuarioAmazonico

Do now know why that was bold. Apologies

Deku-Cory

I really like my Red Flame Sword that I got from the Co-op. Mine looks pretty different from the one on the website, it has bronze and red leaves that have a speckled pattern to them. (I'll take a picture of it when I get home if you would like me to.) The color depends on the mineral content in the water, so if you have harder water like me you'll naturally get some stunning red colors that really contrast with the greenery of other plants. Or you could dose the tank with iron.

As Acuario said, Java Fern is a good hardy plant that would work well. The ones from Aquarium Co-op are massive and you'll get several in one pot. Since Java Fern likes to be out of the substrate, you can attach it to a piece of decor for a nice looking centerpiece. In fact that's the centerpiece of my tank!

honorstoise

For a rooted plant, maybe go for an amazon sword

Amcdonald58

I have two variety's of java fern in the tank I would like something different. I have already tried an amazon sword, my pleco ate this. does anyone have experience with crinum calamistratum?

kallililly1973

How about a red tiger lotus. What kind of pleco ate your amazon sword? I have swords in most all my tanks and I have a common, albino BN, a clown, and a rubberlip and they have never touched any of my plants.

Dennis57

I had crinum calamistratum years ago, nice plant, takes a very long time to grow so I would not put this in the center. Needs medium to high light to survive

Derek2408

I vote red tiger lotus

Dennis57

I have 8 different plecos and they never eat my plants. Red Tiger Lotus, beautiful plants.
Take a look at dustins fish tanks he has really nice plants and they always give you a little more.
Red Tiger Lotus.jpg
Red Tiger Lotus.jpg Here is a quick shot of 1 of my red tiger lotus plants from dustins fish tanks I bought a few bulbs from him like 3 weeks ago. The plant today is huge

Oak77

I
I had crinum calamistratum years ago, nice plant, takes a very long time to grow so I would not put this in the center. Needs medium to high light to survive
I bought two last week. I like them. Didn’t realize how slow growers they were. They sure look good when they are tall. I saw one vid where they said it was ok to plant as centerpiece due to how unique it is.. I hope so, I’m totally new to this. It also said don’t move it around once planted.

Dennis57

I

I bought two last week. I like them. Didn’t realize how slow growers they were. They sure look good when they are tall. I saw one vid where they said it was ok to plant as centerpiece due to how unique it is.. I hope so, I’m totally new to this. It also said don’t move it around once planted.
Very slow and yes very unique looking. I really never move my plants around once planted.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Chiasmodon
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishareFriends6
  • Question
29 Gallon Tank Stocking question
Replies
Views