Centerpiece Plant For A 20 To 30 Gallon Tank

Donovan Jones

Right now I have a 20 high with a bunch of wisteria and some java moss strands that I just can never seem to completely get rid of, and I'm wanting some contrast. I don't want to get a million different plants, which looks great don't get me wrong. I just want a single plant that can be my pride and joy for years to come. The tank also has leaf litter in the front, hence no foreground plants. I'm looking for a darker green plant, and if it has a little red that's fine, but I want mostly green. Eventually I'll get a 3 foot tank, but I doubt I'll ever get past a 55.
So the two ideas that seem to appeal to me the most are amazon swords and bulb plants, and both have flaws. Amazon swords are the ideal color, no dormant phase, nice contrast, but they eventually get MASSIVE. Bulbs however, don't have the exact green I'm looking for, weird as that sounds, but aponogetons have always been near and dear to me. However, I don't like that they melt and go dormant. This could be somewhat combated by planting one every 4 months til I get 3, so I'll always have at least one growing, but I'm not sure that's a good idea given how large they can get.
So I guess the long story short is are there any medium size swords that stay a max of 20 inches, and have a vibrant medium green color, or are there any aponogetons that can mimic this, pr any plants in general.

FishRFriendz

How about Nymphoides Hydrophylla

Donovan Jones

How about Nymphoides Hydrophylla
I've never had much luck with those. I guess I should also add I'm looking for medium to low light and the temp is 75 ish, I use root tabs and occasionally easy green

kallililly1973

Red tiger lotus, Madagascar lace, Larger species of Anubis.

Vishaquatics

+1 for red tiger lotus as a center piece

Blondeath

Red Tiger Lotus is beautiful!
5FB91380-C546-4129-8247-6F3B6856E38E.jpeg

12Cin12

Right now I have a 20 high with a bunch of wisteria and some java moss strands that I just can never seem to completely get rid of, and I'm wanting some contrast. I don't want to get a million different plants, which looks great don't get me wrong. I just want a single plant that can be my pride and joy for years to come. The tank also has leaf litter in the front, hence no foreground plants. I'm looking for a darker green plant, and if it has a little red that's fine, but I want mostly green. Eventually I'll get a 3 foot tank, but I doubt I'll ever get past a 55.
So the two ideas that seem to appeal to me the most are amazon swords and bulb plants, and both have flaws. Amazon swords are the ideal color, no dormant phase, nice contrast, but they eventually get MASSIVE. Bulbs however, don't have the exact green I'm looking for, weird as that sounds, but aponogetons have always been near and dear to me. However, I don't like that they melt and go dormant. This could be somewhat combated by planting one every 4 months til I get 3, so I'll always have at least one growing, but I'm not sure that's a good idea given how large they can get.
So I guess the long story short is are there any medium size swords that stay a max of 20 inches, and have a vibrant medium green color, or are there any aponogetons that can mimic this, pr any plants in general.
If you like swords, I wouldn’t be intimidated by them. They’re just plants and you can always prune them to keep their size in check.

Donovan Jones

If you like swords, I wouldn’t be intimidated by them. They’re just plants and you can always prune them to keep their size in check.
True, but I would have to take it out of the tank and hack the roots once in a while wouldnt i?

kallililly1973

True, but I would have to take it out of the tank and hack the roots once in a while wouldnt i?
no need to hack the roots just trim the biggest leaves every once in a while

Donovan Jones

Oh, cool! Any recommendations for a good starter sword?
I'd like something that has almost like drifts in the current like aponogeton, but doesn't die back

kallililly1973

The only ones i've had are amazon swords. They make an amazing centerpiece plant. A root tab under them every month or 2 will do them well.

OniEG

A good route, but also timely route would be getting driftwood covered in moss as a center piece. I'd go with flame moss and wrap it around the drift wood. It would look amazing after a month or 2.

12Cin12

Yes, I just pinch off the leaves that shade my other plants. The open habit of the sword makes it a good fishie hiding place. My embers tetras love to play in the leaves!

12Cin12

Another easy plant that makes a strong statement is Cabomba ( can’t spell sorry). Anyway, here’s a pic. I put a root tab under it. And it will sway in the current.

kallililly1973

Yes, I just pinch off the leaves that shade my other plants. The open habit of the sword makes it a good fishie hiding place. My embers tetras love to play in the leaves!
That's a good way to do it and sometimes you can even grab the stem at the very bottom and give it a tug and the entire stem will sometimes pull out.. haha speaking of embers i'm watching mine in my 5.5 cruise around the sword in there

Donovan Jones

I've been doing some looking at aquascapes on google, and one really inspired me, I'll post pics when I do it but it basically is wisteria in the back with rocks separating it from the rest of the substrate. I'd post the inspiration but it's not my pic so I'm not sure what the rules on that are.

kallililly1973

I've been doing some looking at aquascapes on google, and one really inspired me, I'll post pics when I do it but it basically is wisteria in the back with rocks separating it from the rest of the substrate. I'd post the inspiration but it's not my pic so I'm not sure what the rules on that are.
I think if you post the pic it will be removed but if u post a link to the pic then your ok.

OniEG

Another easy plant that makes a strong statement is Cabomba ( can’t spell sorry). Anyway, here’s a pic. I put a root tab under it. And it will sway in the current.
You'd have to trim it every week to make it look like a good center piece, but it is a gorgeous plant.

Donovan Jones

So I moved the substrate around and the plants. I'm gonna add more small pots for caves among the rocks too, I just need to find some stones now.

Amcdonald58

Hey guys, I need help with picking a centerpiece planted tank I want a plant that is medium light and will do well in BDBS substrate. I do have DIY root tabs that I use, I also dose with easy green. I want something that has skinny leaves and will grow to the height of my tank. I have tried corkscrew val, this did not do well. I also tried an amazon sword and my bristle nose pleco has eaten a heavy portion of it. I would like a plant that I can get from aquarium co-op if possible, I am open to other option as well. Thank you for any help.

AcuarioAmazonico

always safe with good old java fern. Maybe crested variety?

AcuarioAmazonico

Do now know why that was bold. Apologies

Deku-Cory

I really like my Red Flame Sword that I got from the Co-op. Mine looks pretty different from the one on the website, it has bronze and red leaves that have a speckled pattern to them. (I'll take a picture of it when I get home if you would like me to.) The color depends on the mineral content in the water, so if you have harder water like me you'll naturally get some stunning red colors that really contrast with the greenery of other plants. Or you could dose the tank with iron.

As Acuario said, Java Fern is a good hardy plant that would work well. The ones from Aquarium Co-op are massive and you'll get several in one pot. Since Java Fern likes to be out of the substrate, you can attach it to a piece of decor for a nice looking centerpiece. In fact that's the centerpiece of my tank!

honorstoise

For a rooted plant, maybe go for an amazon sword

Amcdonald58

I have two variety's of java fern in the tank I would like something different. I have already tried an amazon sword, my pleco ate this. does anyone have experience with crinum calamistratum?

kallililly1973

How about a red tiger lotus. What kind of pleco ate your amazon sword? I have swords in most all my tanks and I have a common, albino BN, a clown, and a rubberlip and they have never touched any of my plants.

Dennis57

I had crinum calamistratum years ago, nice plant, takes a very long time to grow so I would not put this in the center. Needs medium to high light to survive

Derek2408

I vote red tiger lotus

Dennis57

I have 8 different plecos and they never eat my plants. Red Tiger Lotus, beautiful plants.
Take a look at dustins fish tanks he has really nice plants and they always give you a little more.
Red Tiger Lotus.jpg
Red Tiger Lotus.jpg Here is a quick shot of 1 of my red tiger lotus plants from dustins fish tanks I bought a few bulbs from him like 3 weeks ago. The plant today is huge

Oak77

I
I had crinum calamistratum years ago, nice plant, takes a very long time to grow so I would not put this in the center. Needs medium to high light to survive
I bought two last week. I like them. Didn’t realize how slow growers they were. They sure look good when they are tall. I saw one vid where they said it was ok to plant as centerpiece due to how unique it is.. I hope so, I’m totally new to this. It also said don’t move it around once planted.

Dennis57

I

I bought two last week. I like them. Didn’t realize how slow growers they were. They sure look good when they are tall. I saw one vid where they said it was ok to plant as centerpiece due to how unique it is.. I hope so, I’m totally new to this. It also said don’t move it around once planted.
Very slow and yes very unique looking. I really never move my plants around once planted.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rosethebunny
10 Gallon Tank Easy freshwater plants
Replies
Views
nobettasinbowls
Replies
Views
INeedHelpLol
Replies