Centerpiece ideas for neon and orange von rio tetras

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by rengadx17, Aug 12, 2015.

1. rengadx17New MemberMember

I have a 20 long tank with a small school of 7 neon tetras and 6 orange von rio tetras. I am looking to stock it with one more fish and am looking for centerpiece fish that would look good and be compatible with the tetras species I already have in the tank.

Any and all ideas are welcome!

2. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

I think Rosey Barbs would be a nice compliment to that particular Tetra. The Rosy would bring out the colors in the Tetra. Rosey Barbs look beautiful as they mature. I have one that is about 3" without the tail and he is striking! They have that silvery bright red (male) that really stands out..

3. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Rosy barbs would need a group of 6+ though, and I wouldn't add another school, there's already 2.
    How about a dwarf gourami or peacock gudgeon?

4. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

I agree that Rosey's would always be better in a school. In fact 60% of all fish would rather school. However, many of them do so for protection purposes. Based on what he currently shows in the tank, the Rosey doesnt need much protection from its current inhabitants. Depending on the size of the aquarium, 3 Roseys would be perfectly fine...wouldnt you think so?

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

No. If they are schooling fish in the wild, then I say keep them in a proper group......

6. chrt396Well Known MemberMember

I guess everyone has a their own train of thought on this matter. Schools are for protection as well as socialization. In his tank of current inhabitants, I would think that three would give the socialization they require and the protection is hardly needed. Just my humble opinion of course.. It's only a 20 gallon tank!

I agree that it would be BEST..to keep them in a school..but it is not a certain requirement to do so for the welfare and health of the fish.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  7. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Then we agree to disagree.

8. chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Pethia conchonius, the Rosey Barb, can reach 14cm; that's roughly 6 inches. Do you really think three fish capable of reaching this size would be appropriate in a 20 gallon tank?

I am personally opposed to the concept of the "centerpiece" fish. That said, your best bet would be some sort of dwarf Cichlid or possibly one of the larger Badis species. You might also try one of the medium sized mouthbrooding Betta species; they are usually not as aggressive as B. splendens. None of these are going to be commonly available, however.

9. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Laetacara Dorisgera ?

10. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Schooling fish will often fight in groups less than 6, if they don't, then they often waste away. That's why they need groups of 6 or more, preferably a lot more if you have the space.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice