Centerpiece for a 20 long

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by kinezumi89, Dec 21, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Hello all,

As some of you know I recently lost my centerpiece fish got my 20 long. With the help of kb9plc I've learned that Chicago water is very high in TDS, or total dissolved solids. While I'm not certain whether or not this is the sole culprit in Ernesto's untimely death, I am sure it played a role. I wanted to get another apisto, but with this knowledge I think that would be a poor decision.

Can anyone offer suggestions for centerpiece fish? Since I moved the neons and lost a few endlers, the tank is very empty indeed.

1. Do opaline gouramis get too big / too aggressive?
    2. Do Bolivian rams need to be kept in small groups, or is a solo one okay?

Other suggestions are more than welcome as well. Thanks for your advice :)

2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

So what exactly is in the tank now? Im not sure but I think that gourami gets to big for a 20g. Honeys would be a good choice but I would get some sparkling gouramis if it were me.

Not sure about Bolivians on there own I've always heard they like groups. Gbr's seem to do OK by themselves.

3. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

I still vote for a sunset honey gourami. :)

I looked at the stock in your 20. You know I have a neon blue gourami in with a handful of male endlers. He could care less about his tank mates.

I had my two GBRs seperated in two different tanks for a few weeks. During that time, they seemed to do fine on their own. The one that was in my community at the time, actually swam with my pandas. Apparently it thought it was a cory. :)

4. Jennifer26

Jennifer26 Valued Member Member

Gourami all the way - I have 5 myself beautiful colours when light hits them :)?

Rams can be a bit testy ied stick to 2 in one tank with your others

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013
  5. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I have a pair of GBRs in a different tank, so I think I'd like to do something different. The 20 long has endlers and RCS and two green cories in it (I probably should have told you that haha).

6. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

I think you'd want 2 gbr's I believe one is not good alone, is this correct?

7. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

Why don't you use RO-water?
    Then you can go on with apistos or whichever fish you like...

8. bankruptjojo

I think gbr's can be alone... I have one in my 125g for awhile. Even after her boyfriend passed away. She is very young and seems to be doing fine.

I would up the corys if u plan on keeping them.

I like sparkling gouramis.. yes? No?

You can try a betta... go to Petco and get a baby betta there is a better chance it will work if u add them young. Just a idea but you know how bettas can be. My baby betta is the only one I have been able to keep in a community tank. She's not a baby anymore and behaves very well with neons. But you would need a backup tank just in case.

9. Meeps83

Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

I love my Bolivian Rams. They're my favorite fish in the tank actually. I think they're ok singly, but they display more natural behaviors when in groups. You could probably fit 2 in your 20L as long as you took great care to make sure they had their own territories. They don't get territorial, per se, but they like to have their own little spots to chill.

10. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

A. I already have two GBRs, so I don't think I want any more of those.
    B. I am on a college student budget, so no RO/DI water for me :p I'm not necessarily dead-set on apistos, he just worked really well in the tank. But cleaning three tanks weekly is enough work when I'm in school, I don't think I want to add to it with RO/DI water.
    C. Hmm I hadn't considered a betta, and I do really like bettas. I suppose one downside is that I couldn't choose the core, since their colors wouldn't be obvious as a baby. Also I think they usually only have crowntails and veil tails, right? A plakat would be fun...plus my boyfriend might be betta-ed out since we have two others :p I'll have to ask.
    D. I don't remember what sparkling gouramis look like exactly but I remember liking them, I'll have to look into them again. One downside is that my LFS doesn't have them, meaning I'd have to order them and pay for shipping.
    E. With the bad luck I've had with cories I don't think I plan to up the school. These two were the only ones that survived out of 11 total cories. They're very active and eat well, so I don't think they mind not being in a full school.

Sorry, I don't mean to shoot everyone's suggestions down :p I often like to play the devil's advocate; I'd rather think of all possible cons before I buy the fish rather than after.

11. bankruptjojo

Yeah with a baby betta its hard to tell if its even a boy or girl. Have u tried either of your bettas... there is a small chance it could work.

The sparkling gouramis are nice because they stay small and u could put around 5 in there. There supposed to do well together. paying for shipping sucks but shouldn't stand in your way if its the fish u really want. See if your fish store can order them first.

12. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My King Betta is the centerpiece of my 20 long :)

13. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I haven't. One of them is way rambunctious and flares at the other one, causing him to nip his fins. Maybe the calmer one would work. But then I'd have to get another one for the 10 gallon... :p

I'll ask the manager of the LFS if he'll order fish for us. He's ordered nerites, but he normally can get them, he just got some because we wanted to buy some. :)

Akari why didn't I think of that!! Are king bettas better in community tanks than regular ones? Another concern is that he might be big enough to eat, or at least pick on, endlers...

14. Akari_32

I have Endlers, a Cory (I've given up on finding him buddies...) and Least Killifish (females are smaller than male Endlers), and Ryuu behaves himself with everyone, even the Molly and the Pearl Gourami, who are bigger than he is, once he got used to them. I think they know that they are larger than normal bettas, and are fine with more and larger fish than their smaller cousins are because of it.

15. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

So tempting! I reallyyy like bettas and I'd love to try a King betta (I was just ogling one at the store today) but what if you just have a nice one? I wouldn't really have anywhere to put him. I could try the 55 but he might still be aggressive to the neons (if I got a mean one or something).

16. Akari_32

I find Kings are much more docile. I think it's because of their size, but again, just a guess, and also just what from I've seen from my two and others kings.

If you did mange to get a mean one, it gives you an excuse for another 10 gallon :p

17. bankruptjojo

Yeah if u won't have a backup plan that would keep the betta by himself it might not be a good idea. I'm sure giants can be mean just like any other betta. The only thing that will help is adding them while there young. Unless u just get lucky.

18. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Doesn't PetCo have a 30 day return policy, even for live fish? I wonder if I could just bring him back if he didn't work out.

Looking at pictures of sparkling gouramis, they are so varied! Some are really colorful and pretty and others are very plain. Has anyone kept them and can comment on google image results and their validity? I would wonder if I could get ones that look like the really pretty ones, or if they're really rare/expensive or something.

19. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

My petco has a 30 day return policy. I always bring tap water in to be tested too. :D Just fill a small container the day before you go.

20. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

I'm confused, why would I want them to test my water? Don't we usually assume that they use strips, and think that low levels of ammonia are "safe"? I know if you try to get money back for a fish that died, that you often need to bring in a water sample. Which I think is kind of dumb; even if you had ammonia, you could technically just bring in a sample of tap water, as long as you didn't have ammonia in your tap water. I don't think employees know enough (usually) to see 0ppm nitrates as an issue, and many people have nitrates in their tap water anyway.

Anyway, now I'm rambling :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice