Centerpiece for a 10 gallon?

1. J

Jowenbra Valued Member Member

So I recently set up a new 10 gallon tank. It's gone great so far and I love how it turned out. I have in it 8 CPDs and 4 Scarlet Badis. Everyones eating and aside from some stress from shipping everyone seems healthy. After staring at the tank for awhile it feels a bit empty though. I definitely need a centerpiece fish or 2. I'm thinking dwarf gourami but have been hearing mixed reviews on their behavior. Ideally I would like something blue, to counteract all the red that's currently in there. Any suggestions?

2. A

AndromedaAmalthea New Member Member

3. H

Happy1234 New Member Member

How about blue dwarf gourami? I have one and it is not aggressive. You could also add 5 pygmy cories as clean up crew. Just remember to supplement their diet with sinking wafers and shrimp pellets. Oh, they also would do better with sand as substrate.

4. Calum98

Calum98 Valued Member Member

BDGs are lovely and I've had one before but I've read that due to how they've been over bred or something they have really weak immune systems and can get diseases really easily, mines caught the Irodovirus and passed away last week sadly

5. H

I am sorry for your lost. My dwarf gourami has been fine for a year now and I got it from a reputable breeder. I guess it depends on the genes.

6. Calum98

Calum98 Valued Member Member

Yeah I suppose so, I got mine from my LPS and some of their fish aren't too healthy. A Red Robbin Gourami I got from there is currently losing colour from its tail up and looked a bot fungus like, went to pet shop yesterday and theyre all like that now. Thought it was something wrong with my tank. So not gonna be going there again anytime soon.

7. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

What about a brightly colored platy? Small bioload, loads of color. Doesn't mind being on its own, and they are personable.

8. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

I agree - maybe a bright colored platy or a very nice looking male guppy?

9. H

Since you want blue, how about some blue platies?

10. Lady Monster

Lady Monster Well Known Member Member

Pygmy corys are so cute!!!! I have some juvenile julii cory and I wish they would stay 1 inch forever :)