Centerpiece for 25G planted.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by LiterallyHydro, Jul 9, 2015.

1. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydroWell Known MemberMember

I have a 25 gallon tank that currently has 8 cherry barbs and 4 platies.

It also has an angel fish and a bristle nose pleco that was in my 75 gallon tank before it crashed. They will be relocated to a new 75 gallon tank when it is set up soon.

The dimensions of this tank are 24x12x18 LxWxH.

I would like to add just one centerpiece fish to the tank to finish off the stock, after the angel fish and bristle nose pleco are moved.

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

What about a gourami?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

I've thought about gouramis but dwarf gouramis tend to carry disease and honey gouramis just don't interest me much.

4. AquaticBrandon

Dwarf gouramis carrying diseases? Never heard of them carrying diseases, I've never had a problem with them. What about a type of ram?

5. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

6. AquaticBrandon

Hmm interesting, I have never heard of that disease. You can do a type of Appistogramma

7. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

I tried two dwarf gouramis in the past (At different times) and both of them unfortunately passed to the disease within three weeks of owning them.

Apistos are interesting too, I can't really find any for sale around here though. Maybe if I can get them from an online breeder, Aquabid or Ebay or something.

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

You could try a thick-lipped gourami or maybe a banded gourami. Thicklipped sunsets are really pretty. I have 2. Very peaceful. Are not susceptible to DG disease

9. OP
    OP
    LiterallyHydro

I feel that a thick-lipped gourami and banded gourami both get too big for a 25 gallon tank. They both grow to 4+ inches when fully grown and the tank is only a 24x12. They are both pretty fish, but they just get a little too big in my opinion.

10. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

Could be right. I'd go with a GBR or Bolivian myself. Both are pretty entertaining

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What about a GBR or BR?

edit: Ninja'd by tyguy!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  12. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

There are lots of acara that would work. You may have to order one though. A keyhole cichlid would work too.

13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Saw some acaras at a lfs the other day, they didnt look too appealing or "blue", for that matter. I think they were $5.

14. BDpups

BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

How big were they? Juvis are not all that colorful. But the adults are. So if they might be something your interested in, find out what kind they are and see what the adults look like. There are a lot of acaras. Not just the blue.

I can send a pic of mine if you want.

15. AquaticBrandon

Really? My pet store sells Blue Acaras for $20. They are a good size though

16. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

How about a Nanochromis cichlid or this?:
    Also, the blue acara wouldn't work, because they're too big but types like Nannacara or Laetacara would work.

17. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Just remembered seeing Laetacara Curviceps on some website the other day, something to look into.
    BDpups and AquaticBrandon yea they must've been juvies, they looked tan colored maybe 2".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice